Review Philips HR1623 Hand Blender

Chicken tikka marinade (olive oil, lime juice, pureed ginger, pureed garlic, yoghurt, ground roasted cumin and coriander seeds, turmeric, chili powder, salt and black pepper).

tikka marinade montage.jpg

Last edited:
Tandoori marinade.

Yoghurt, ginger, garlic, onion, red chilies, garam masala and red food colouring.

That was an image that I captured a long time ago. This is an image of the stalks that I chopped today.

flat leaf parsley s.jpg

Really nothing like parsley as I know it! Just looked it up. Its Thai parsley (well it would be :D) - but it is a specific type with a different flavour (so I read).

The flavor of the herb has been compared to coriander and used as a garnish for Thai dishes such as Thai Beef Salad (Yam Nua) and Laab Gai. Thai Parsley is also used in a variety of Thai spicy salads such as Som Tam, which are very popular within Thailand with locals and visitors alike.

It seems it is also known as Mexican cilantro and 'ciluntro':

The appearance of culantro and cilantro are different but the leaf aromas are similar, although culantro is more pungent. Because of this aroma similarity the leaves are used interchangeably in many food preparations and is the major reason for the misnaming of one herb for the other. While relatively new to American cuisine, culantro has long been used in the Far East, Latin America, and the Caribbean. In Asia, culantro is most popular in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore where it is commonly used with or in lieu of cilantro and topped over soups, noodle dishes, and curries. In Latin America, culantro is mostly associated with the cooking style of Puerto Rico, where recipes common to all Latin countries are enhanced with culantro. The most popular and ubiquitous example is salsa, a spicy sauce prepared from tomatoes, garlic, onion, lemon juice, with liberal amounts of chiles. These constituents are fried and simmered together, mixed to a smooth paste and spiced with fresh herbs including culantro. Salsa is usually consumed with tortilla chips as an appetizer. Equally popular is sofrito or recaito, the name given to the mixture of seasonings containing culantro and widely used in rice, stews, and soups (Wilson 1991). There are reportedly as many variations of the recipe as there are cooks in Puerto Rico but basically sofrito consists of garlic, onion, green pepper, small mild peppers, and both cilantro and culantro leaves. Ingredients are blended and can then be refrigerated for months. Sofrito is itself the major ingredient in a host of other recipes including eggplant pasta sauce, cilantro garlic butter, cilantro pesto, pineapple salsa, and gazpacho with herb yogurt.

Culantro is reported to be rich in calcium, iron, carotene, and riboflavin. Fresh leaves are 86–88% moisture, 3.3% protein, 0.6% fat, 6.5% carbohydrate, 1.7% ash, 0.06% phosphorus, and 0.02% iron. Leaves are an excellent source of vitamin A (10,460 I.U./100 g), B2 (60 mg %), B1 (0.8 mg %), and C (150–200 mg %) (Bautista et al. 1988). On a dry weight basis, leaves consist of 0.1–0.95% volatile oil, 27.7% crude fiber, 1.23% calcium, and 25 ppm boron.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-506.html

Really nothing like parsley as I know it! Just looked it up. Its Thai parsley (well it would be :D) - but it is a specific type with a different flavour (so I read).

Just for information, coriander in Thai is "phatchee" (ผักชี) whereas parsley is "phatchee farang" (าสลีย์) which could be translated as "Western coriander".

Does it taste quite pungent - more like coriander than the British type of parsley? I would love to try some but I can only find it at exorbitant prices on-line...

I rarely use it. I bought it to add to some garlic bread that I was intending to make as a chilli accompaniment but then found that the frozen bread was buggered. I therefore chopped it up and froze it. Generally I use dried parsley (of the western style).

By the way, the amount in the photograph cost thre'pence.

If you use Google to search for "Thai parsley" the images returned are predominantly similar to the one pictured above.

Who am I to blow against the wind?

Back
Top Bottom