Picking your own fruits

Perhaps we need a summer special raspberry recipe challenge. With a glut of (free) raspberries around, all sorts of concoctions have been springing from oven, hob and fridge. I'm not keen on freezing things, so it's been a test of invention. There is only so much jam one can make. Here is the latest creation:

View attachment 2973
Win the current challenge and chose raspberries as the next ingredient then!

Win the current challenge and chose raspberries as the next ingredient then!

Out of season by that time...

Indeed, what looks like the last crop has just been gathered. From it, a raspberry cake:

002.JPG

We await the blackberry surge in the next few weeks.

My immediate area is full of hawthorn trees, which are loaded with berries. Does anyone have any magic potions that can be gleaned from these berries?

And before some Smart Alec replies, "Type hawthorn berries into Google," yes, I've done that and there are myriad weird and wonderful concoctions. I'm sure there must be more, though.

Did you know that brambles (not blackberries) are considered to be a noxious weed in Australia and must be reported for destroying!
Blackberries sold by garden centres are OK though, something to do with the seeds not being as likely to germinate and also I guess not being quite so bramble like in their touch the ground and put new roots down!

Back
Top Bottom