Picnics

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
8:44 PM
I hate to admit this, but I have never been for a picnic. Not a *proper* picnic, with a wicker picnic basket, a gingham tablecloth and china plates. I've eaten food outdoors on a rug, yes, but it's usually pre-packed sandwiches, crisps and tubs of party sausage rolls from Sainsburys. I'd sooner be tucking into strawberries, cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts cut off!) and chilled champagne!

Have you been for a proper picnic? What did you eat and drink?

Wow, that's amazing! We used to go all of the time although I know of no one that actually uses China. The menu has been different for most of the picnics, I prefer fried chicken and potato salad for some of my favorite picnic foods. You have got to get it together and go on a picnic with someone!

I remember eating from a wicker picnic basket when I was a child. My mother would pack it with hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, potato salad, lettuce, cooked chicken and cold sausages. She also made sandwiches and a flask of tea. We would finish the picnic with fresh fruit.

I have often made packed lunches for a day out hiking. Usually just sandwiches, something sweet and a flask of coffee.

I've never eaten from a wicker basket or with china on a picnic. We've always used colors and or plastic bags to store stuff in. We used plastic china lol

When we go out for picnics we would assign a different dish for each person. Everything has to be dry or at least not cumbersome to bring. No soupy food definitely. The favorites are sausages, sandwiches, spring rolls, fried chicken pieces, oriental stir fried noodles, and pies. Fruits are OK, too but we try to avoid the messy ones such as watermelons and pineapples. If we have to bring fruits, these must be brought already cut up into bite sized portions. We try to avoid peeling the big fruits at the picnic because fruit peels invite insects. We do not want to be invaded by insects.

I love picnics! When it is a larger group we use wicker baskets but tend to use heavy duty colorful plastic plates, cups and forks and knives as opposed to china. Generally as a larger group we all are responsible for one aspect of the meal, for example salad, entree or dessert. Everyone usually brings their own assortment of beverages--we all share too--just to make sure everyone has something they like. When I go with my boyfriend we use the wicker basket and will bring china, it's just easier when there are fewer people to go all out. Sometimes we make typical picnic meal but other times we just bring champagne, cheese, crackers and some fruit and relax.

Back
Top Bottom