Recipe Pikelets or Drop Scones

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:52 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Today was one of those days. I needed some comfort food so it was time for some pikelets as they are known in our family.

The recipe is easy... I usually double or triple it.

4oz self raising flour
150ml milk (or soya/oat/nut milk is also fine)
1 egg
1-2Tbsp Golden Syrup
pinch of salt

It's pretty much a put everything in blender/mixer and whiz/mix to a thin runny batter.
Heat a griddle and very lightly grease
Each picklet needs about 2-3 Tbsp of batter
turn over when the larger bubbles burst and they are littley brown on the underside.
remove and repeat....

Best served hot.

Today was one of those days. I needed some comfort food so it was time for some pikelets as they are known in our family.

Best served hot.

Not got one of these then? :whistling:

My mum (Scottish) always made them on one of these, over the coke burning stove :):hungry::hungry:

Griddlepan.jpg

Not got one of these then? :whistling:

My mum (Scottish) always made them on one of these, over the coke burning stove :):hungry::hungry:

Griddlepan.png

nope - my family are not from Scotland (just me I'm afraid). Our family heirloom is a rectangular lump of cast iron that weighs a ton. I have an old griddle pan that is circular, never washed and never sticks unless I try cooking dosa on it (so I bought the dosa a cheap tawa for under a £10...)

My griddle looks like this....

DSC_0127.jpg

Apologies for the state of the kitchen - it has not been a good day today!

Your kitchen looks fine to me. Your pikelets look great too.

My mum used to make these and placed them, initially, in rows folded up in a tea towel.
She said it did something to them that make them taste even better.
I think that was just to stop my sister and I from scoffing the lot within 5 minutes :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom