Recipe Pikelets

Local time
6:15 PM
I've never made crumpets, but I have made pikelets which are very similar (and easier to make). The difference between a pikelet and a crumpet is that a pikelet is cooked free-form in the pan/on the griddle whereas a crumpet needs to be cooked in a ring (to form the characteristic straight side).

In this picture (not mine - I borrowed it!) the crumpets are on the left and the pikelets are on the right:
img_0302_1.jpg

This is the pikelet recipe I use - its very easy and makes approx 16 pikelets:

150ml milk
150ml boiling water
200g plain flour
1½ tsp instant dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt
Oil, to grease

- Combine the milk with the boiling water then leave to cool until the mixture’s just tepid. In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Once the liquid is lukewarm, add it to the dry ingredients and beat vigorously for a minute or so. Leave the batter to sit in its bowl at room temperature for an hour, or until it has risen to at least 1½ times its original volume, and is filled with thousands of tiny bubbles.
- Once risen, the batter should be aerated, slightly thicker and more glutinous – give it a gentle stir before continuing. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat until it’s hot. Grease with a couple of drops of oil and turn the heat down slightly.
- Spoon 1 heaped tbsp or so of the batter into the pan – enough to create a thick pancake 7-10cm wide. Let this first pikelet be the sacrificial test one. Cook for 1½-2 minutes on one side: it should immediately begin to set, bubbles growing, bursting and pockmarking its surface until it has a holey, crumpet-like texture. (If the batter’s too thick, the bubbles won’t be able to break through. Just stir in an extra tbsp milk if so.) Once the upper surface sets, flip the pikelet and cook for a further 1½-2 minutes on the other side. Adjust the heat as you deem fit, regrease the pan and cook the remaining pikelets – you should be able to fit a 3-4 in the pan each time.
- Serve while they’re still warm with salted butter and a soft-set jam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom