Pizza Dough

I'm not clear what @Yorky was comparing now - had he risen the dough in the bread maker and then simply frozen the portions he didn't use? Was the dough removed after the machine had done one rise? Did he knock it back by hand? Will he understand what we are on about?

:laugh:
It sounds like he used the dough feature then made one pizza and froze the rest of the dough.

In response to your comments/answers - you are correct in assuming that I am unlikely to understand.

I now have the instruction manual in front of me but as I've said previously, manuals here are generally translated into Thai and English from the original Chinese (sometimes very badly).

The breadmaker I guess is similar to @Cinisajoy 's in that it has a number of different programmes (13) of which No 9 is called "dough" - total time 1 hr 30 min. The "dough" setting is described thus: "Program to prepare yeast dough for rolls, pastry or pizza. The dough is heated so that it can rise, but it won't be baked.After the kneading process you can bake the dough in a traditional oven."

As I stated previously, I removed the dough from the breadmaker and cut it into 3 pieces without any further kneading. Two pieces went into oiled plastic bags and then into the freezer. The other piece was kneaded further in order to shape it to the cooking tray (10" diameter).

To add; the second defrosted piece, albeit roughly the same size as the original piece, resulted in a pizza which was much thicker than the original (too thick really). I shall address this after defrosting the third piece.

The last part is odd. It should have stretched to the same size.

On the third piece, after it has thrawed, beat it and knead it until it is back to the same size as the first. Then roll it and shape it into a pizza crust.

This is going to be today's pizza (not sure of the topping yet - probably pepperoni):

This was after natural defrosting but the dough was still quite cold:

pizza dough cold.jpg

This was two hours later (untouched) left in a kitchen ambient temperature just over 30 degC.

pizza dough warm.jpg

Last edited:
It's trying to get out of the bag now!

I kneaded it and kneaded it again then rolled it and tried to get it into a 10" tray. It had a helluva memory; kept trying to return to a ball!. Anyway after much perseverance it stayed where I put it. I cooked the base for 3 minutes (in hindsight should have been 5 minutes) first in the halogen then turned it over onto the lower grid and added the toppings. I don't mind my pepperoni crispy but in the halogen it does need constant supervision to avoid letting it burn.

pepperoni pizza 6 s.jpg

That is an interesting technique for cooking pizza (part cooking the base before adding toppings). I suppose that is because of your halogen heat source? If you think of the traditional pizza oven it is bottom heat (wood fired) and is a fierce temperature. The pizza cooks in a few minutes. That's impossible to achieve in a domestic oven, even with a pizza stone.

That is an interesting technique for cooking pizza (part cooking the base before adding toppings). I suppose that is because of your halogen heat source? If you think of the traditional pizza oven it is bottom heat (wood fired) and is a fierce temperature. The pizza cooks in a few minutes. That's impossible to achieve in a domestic oven, even with a pizza stone.
Depending on the thickness of the crust and your oven, cooking the base first is not uncommon in some recipes.
There is a restaurant we quit going to unless one manager was on duty. We got tired of thick half cooked pizza dough. They roll it out to nearly 2 cm thick. (3/4 inch). Then started getting really skimpy on the toppings.

Then started getting really skimpy on the toppings.

I don't think you would consider my toppings skimpy?

pepperoni pizza 5 s.jpg

Pepperoni is about US$ 40.00/kg here!

Last edited:
I don't think you would consider my toppings skimpy?

View attachment 7633

Pepperoni is about US$ 40.00/kg here!
You have more pepperoni on that pizza than they put on a large one. They space their pepperoni at least 7 centimeters apart.
In the stores our pepperoni starts at about US $25/kg.
I am sure restaurants get it way cheaper.

The instructions for my old, now defunct bread maker say "At the end of the cycle, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knock back the dough. Roll out into a 30 cm (12") round and place in the prepared pan or on the baking sheet. Spread the tomato paste.....". The instructions for my newer bread maker are similar but tell you to let the dough rest for 10 minutes after knocking it back and before shaping it. My recipes for hand-made pizzas all say to use the dough straight away after knocking it back; otherwise divide the dough and place in a bag in the fridge or freezer until needed, then carry on by gently knocking back the dough after it reaches room temperature.

When using dough from the freezer, as it defrosts it will rise again. When the dough reaches room temperature, it should be knocked back, then rolled out, etc as above.

I never part-cook the pizza base before adding the toppings. I don't see the point in doing that, and I've never found it necessary. Also, spreading the tomato paste on to the dough straight away after rolling it out stops the dough rising further.

I never part-cook the pizza base before adding the toppings. I don't see the point in doing that, and I've never found it necessary. Also, spreading the tomato paste on to the dough straight away after rolling it out stops the dough rising further.
That is a very good point!

I never part-cook the pizza base before adding the toppings.

If I did that the underside would not be cooked sufficiently as was the case with the first effort. As you may see with the third effort even though the base was pre-cooked for 3 minutes, the topping was beginning to "catch" when the underside of the base was still "soft".

Yorky,
I discovered something by accident. Left in the bag, it will rise. Take it out of the bag. It might not rise.
I was having the opposite problem with frozen rolls.

Back
Top Bottom