Placing of cutlery

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:52 PM
I was watching one of this week's episode of Masterchef the Professionals last night. The first half of the episode was set in the (very grand) French Ambassador's Residence in London. The team of chefs had to cook a formal 3 course meal for French VIPs. I noticed in one of the sequences, that the cutlery on the table was placed 'face down'. Forks turned so the prongs pointed down and spoons turned so that the convex side faced upwards. This applied to all the cutlery - starter, main course and dessert.

I have never seen this before and I'd always assumed that I knew the correct way to set cutlery for formal dining (not that I have done it very often!). I wondered if it was a French thing - but I've eaten out in France many many times and never come across this. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Here is a screenshot from the programme:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 13.41.25.png

Last edited:
No clue unless it is just something that restaurant does. It has been 30 years since I set a proper table, but everything was right side up.
Here now almost every fancy restaurant just has the silverware wrapped in a linen napkin.

No clue unless it is just something that restaurant does. It has been 30 years since I set a proper table, but everything was right side up.
Here now almost every fancy restaurant just has the silverware wrapped in a linen napkin.
Its not a restaurant, though. This is 'fine dining' in the French Ambassador's Residence.

No, that's just wrong. Probably TV crew trying to be "artistic". Misuse of cutlery really bugs me!

No, that's just wrong. Probably TV crew trying to be "artistic". Misuse of cutlery really bugs me!
I just can't believe that it was a mistake. This is a very sophisticated venue and the event is was attended by dignitaries. I can't see the Director or crew letting a mistake like that through.

12 courses! Typically, the following:

Courses (bread would be served throughout; the bread knife is on the knife rest next to the bread plate and there are individual butter dishes with lids):

Served with aperitif of sherry (sherry glass):

Caviar amuse bouche (mother of pearl caviar spoon)
Escargot hors-d'oeuvre (escargot fork; escargot tongs served with plate)
Shrimp Cocktail (cocktail fork)

Served with white wine (white wine glass):

Soup course (soup spoon)
Fish course (fish knife and fork; crescent shaped bone dish next to the charger)
Lobster course (lobster pick; lobster cracker served with plate)

Served with red wine (red wine glass):

Entrée course (entree fork and knife)
Palate cleanser (ice cream fork above place setting)
Relevé (main) course (meat knife and fork)
Salad course served at the end of the meal European style (salad fork and knife; some liberty is taken here as a real salad fork has a thicker left tine)

Finger bowl service (not shown)

Served with digestif of dry champagne (champagne flute):

Cheese and nut course (cheese knife and nut pick)
Dessert course (dessert fork and spoon; served with coffee/tea service not shown)

The courses are smaller and spread out over a long evening, up to three, four or five hours, and follow conventions of menu planning that have been established over many years. Most courses (excluding some light courses such as sorbets) in the most formal full course dinners are usually paired with a different wine, beer, liqueur, or other spirit.

Personally I just use a knife and fork, these days. Its a while since I held a dinner party... I used to have a smaller knife and fork for 'starter courses'. And a set of fish knives - that was many moons ago.

I do have special oyster forks though! :D

Personally I just use a knife and fork, these days. Its a while since I held a dinner party... I used to have a smaller knife and fork for 'starter courses'. And a set of fish knives - that was many moons ago.

I have fondue forks. I think on a top shelf in the kitchen there is an actual silverware chest with a service for 8 including all the serving ware.

I'm less conventional.
I usually have a spoon and a fork. rice salad is so much easier, as are peas etc with a spoon.
For over a year it was a spork and occasional pen knife! even now I much prefer to use a single implement. and see no reason as to why a spoon used for main meal can't be used for a desert as well.

I'm less conventional.
I usually have a spoon and a fork. rice salad is so much easier, as are peas etc with a spoon.
For over a year it was a spork and occasional pen knife! even now I much prefer to use a single implement. and see no reason as to why a spoon used for main meal can't be used for a desert as well.
Or indeed... as in parts of India, use just your fingers or flatbread!

Or indeed... as in parts of India, use just your fingers or flatbread!
Yep often do... and I'm also 'disgusting' because I'll happily drink from a bowl (French style hot chocolate) and use a spoon with the bowl to my lips (Chinese style). happy, yes. international, yes,. diplomatic or formal, definitely not!

Back
Top Bottom