Planning your Christmas Food

We're repeatinga Christmas Eve feast that we did two years ago when all 3 kids could be home for Christmas.

The appetizers......oysters on half shell and shrimp cocktail...for those who don't enjoy oysters.

Dinner....rack of lamb, duck breast, lobster tails,steak.....potatoes au gratin... a side veggie and simple salad.

Dessert.....individual chocolate lava cakes.

I think we're pretty much on track for Christmas: turkey is ordered, veg is growing (or harvested and stored), Boxing day gammon is in the freezer, as are the pigs in blankets. We have a stockpile of bubbly in the garage and some nice wines we bought back from holiday earlier this year. Think that's the essentials covered :D

Turkey is ordered, pudding made, cakes made but not decorated. Have not yet decided what my “random desert” option will be (trifle & pudding every year and normally make a third option).

Butcher is providing all the extras (pigs in blankets etc), and will deliver with the turkey. Veggies I pick up on Christmas Eve from the local green grocer.

No doubt I’ll be running around like a headless chicken the week before - just like every year.

I am SERIOUSLY trying to get my act together ahead of time. A stretch for me - I am not overly organized. Into the kitchen - see if I can get my asparagus artichoke casserole made without curdling the mornay sauce. Boston Butt (pork shoulder) roast out of the freezer to defrost. Savory sweet potato casserole done - in the freezer. Need to make more Pig Candy. That stuff vanishes as soon as I set it out. OK - I need to stop and take a deep breathe. One thing at a time. If I make a long list I get stressed out.

As for gift shopping :hyper:.

I have a meal plan for every day and a list of the stuff I need to buy at the last minute.

As a trained Project Manager I am always well organised :D
Same here! (well apart from the PM bit)
I do like a good plan: whilst I love cooking, its the deciding and working things out that sometimes puts a downer on things. It makes life much simpler and less stressful if there's a simple go-to list :okay:
I have a master excel file for each Christmas with tabs for the daily meal planner, shopping list, gifts to buy, budget and Christmas day timings (so I can work out what needs to go into the oven when).

We now have a 'Christmas shelf' in the fridge, we have 4 bottles of good wine we picked up at the wine tasting event a few weeks ago. We don't buy each other presents instead we spend our money on going out and having fun-enjoying life. For us it is more about relaxing, spending time with family and not being at work :happy:

@Lullabelle

Since, most of the family was born in early to mid December, we give one gift for both celebrations and it is 99% travel, a weekend at a Hotel and / or fine dining gifts .. such as a lunch at a great restaurant ..

We only give gifts to our 2 grandsons and a stocking stuffer for the rest .. Something they have requested on their lists, usually a book or a DVD usually or a night at the cinema to see a film ..

A former colleague once told me that 1 year she and her 2 sons had Christmas dinner at a restaurant and for dessert they served 'boozy boulders' profiteroles covered in Baileys instead of chocolate sauce, sounds like my kind of pud :thumbsup:

A former colleague once told me that 1 year she and her 2 sons had Christmas dinner at a restaurant and for dessert they served 'boozy boulders' profiteroles covered in Baileys instead of chocolate sauce, sounds like my kind of pud :thumbsup:

I'm not at all sure about this... profiteroles yes, Bailey's no. I really must make some profiteroles - its a long time since I did.

Back
Top Bottom