Plastic free teabags...

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
9:30 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....an/28/teabags-plastic-free-co-op-eco-friendly

Have been trying to seriously reduce my plastic use this year and it’s surprisingly difficult! I didn’t even realise there was plastic in tea until there was a conversation in the kitchen in work. I drink quite a lot of tea but it’s a mixture of loose and teabags (loose tea at home, bags in work for ease).

Looks like I’ll be buying tea from the Co-op from now on.

I buy most of my teas and herbal infusión dried herbs from specialty shops by the kilo or grams ..

It is a very small amount of plastic according to the article. Its good that the Co-op is leading the way here. You are right @LadyBelle, that it is very difficult to reduce use of plastic. My main bugbear is the amount of plastic used in packaging. Its all very well if you have the proximity to a market selling unpackaged produce but most of us don't (me included) and there are no greengrocers in Maidstone. Increasingly, especially due to the way plastic waste has hit the headlines recently, supermarkets are selling more loose vegetables and I do try to choose those over the packaged ones.

Yes packing!

Although I had an irritating experience on Friday when I was out for drinks. I’ve bought some glass reusable straws so that I can reduce my use of single use throw away straws. The first bar we went to was really quiet (it was early), so had time to chat to the lady serving me and say I didn’t want a straw as I had my own. However by the time we went to get second round of drinks and subsequent bars it was busy and each time straws were included in before having an opportunity to say “no straw please” - they were already in the drinks so no point throwing away/damage done.

Re the tiny amount in teabags. Yes I get that but my challenge is to make the difference I can by making small changes. Everyone doing the same could eventually make a huge difference. Already recycle as much as I can through Home so my small changes are to not use take away coffee cups, straws (as much as possible), and to by fruit/veg loosely. Also stopped buying water in small plastic bottles and whenever I take the dogs for a run on the beach I bring Home at least two pieces of plastic discarded on the shore.

Our local [and I suspect others too] recycling bins do not accept the dark plastic tray often used to pack vegetables - so TBH what are you supposed to do with them

Our local [and I suspect others too] recycling bins do not accept the dark plastic tray often used to pack vegetables - so TBH what are you supposed to do with them
This is another thing that makes me cross - there is no standard for recycling across the country and it varies considerably from one area to another - presumably dependent on the particular recycling plants used. Mine has not long ago started taking those trays and meat trays.

This is another thing that makes me cross - there is no standard for recycling across the country and it varies considerably from one area to another - presumably dependent on the particular recycling plants used. Mine has not long ago started taking those trays and meat trays.
I agree - the most astonishing thing is we are told no shredded paper [chokes the machine !!] and newspapers have to put in the bin individually - I mean seriously ? We have machines that can cheerfully chew up a car but not it seems a bundle of newspapers ? :meh:

:bravo:
Every little bit helps.
Our municipal recycling service takes most plastics, cans, cardboard and paper. No foam of any kind. They will take shredded paper - usually personal stuff that we run through the shredder - if it is bagged separately. They are not set up to recycle glass!
I had no idea that plastic was used in tea bags. :hyper: I have been putting them in my compost bin.

I agree - the most astonishing thing is we are told no shredded paper [chokes the machine !!] and newspapers have to put in the bin individually - I mean seriously ? We have machines that can cheerfully chew up a car but not it seems a bundle of newspapers ? :meh:
We've actually been told we can put shredded paper in our recycling - but we have to wrap it separately. I put mine in the composter. At one of the hospitals I worked out, my consultant used to take half the shredded paper for his allotment, and I used to take the other half for animal bedding.

We can also put batteries and small electrical items in our recycling, but they have to be in separate bags.

@ElizabethB We've been told to put them in the composter. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/02/teabags-biodegradeable makes interesting reading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom