Recipe Please Don't Eat the Daisies

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:58 PM
'Please Don't Eat the Daisies' is a well known song from a film of the same title starring Doris Day. I now have it as an ear-worm! If you want to hear it I've attached a youtube file below.

In fact, you can eat daisies. You can eat the leaves in salad and the flower petals can be sprinkled over salad too. I suppose I should have used them in this dish - but I only thought about it after I took the photograph! This recipe uses edible flowers too (sage flowers) - but you could use almost any edible flower you have (or raid neighbours' gardens!). The plate pictured is meant as a starter for one person.

Beetroot Pickled Eggs, Broad Beans and Tomato Salad

IMGP0717.jpg

Photographed yesterday in my garden.

IMGP0715.jpg

Ingredients

Beetroot pickled hard boiled eggs
Cooked broad beans slipped out of their papery cases
Tomatoes
Salad sprouts
Sage, Rosemary or Thyme flowers
Basil Oil
Lemon juice
Black Sesame seeds
Black salt (optional)

Method
  • To make the pickled eggs, steep shelled hard boiled eggs in the vinegar from a jar of pickled beetroot. After 24 hours they should be a pretty pink. The longer you leave then, the pinker they get. Mine were left for 2 days.
  • To grow salad sprouts put a few lentils onto soaked paper towel in a container. Keep moist. After 2 days, the sprouts should appear and be ready to eat after a few more days. I used Urid Dhal which is a black 'lentil' (but technically a pea).
  • To make basil oil, blanch a bunch of fresh basil for 3 seconds in boiling water and then plunge into cold water. Pat dry on paper towel and whizz up in a blender with oil of your choice (I used a stick blender). The more basil you have per volume of oil, the greener the oil will be. Mine is quite pale. :(
  • Assemble all the ingredient as shown and drizzle with basil oil and lemon juice.

IMGP0711.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/DNiJPzs82bs

I am trying to sing along. Thought I might know this one but I don't. Need more practice. The salad looks a little slight @morning glory.
The plate shown is a starter/ hors d'oeuvre for one person. I should have said that, sorry.:D I'll amend! I served 4 plates like this as a starter followed by a main course of fish in a caper butter sauce, new potatoes and asparagus.

Back
Top Bottom