Recipe Pomegranate Juice

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:22 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
It may seem that posting a recipe for how to juice a fruit is real beginner-level stuff. But, juicing a pomegranate is a whole different thing from juicing an orange.

This is intended to be a base for another recipe I'm making, but the results are so good that I thought I'd post it separately rather than embedding it in the recipe.

Ingredients

1 pomegranate

Directions

1. Using the blade of a sharp knife, cut about 1/4 inch deep into the skin of the pomegranate, careful not to cut through the seeds. Cut all the way around the perimeter of the pomegranate.

2. Twist the halves of the pomegranate apart. If they don't separate, cut around the perimeter again - slightly deeper - until they do.

3. Hold one half of the pomegranate over a bowl with the seeds facing down, and firmly tap the back of pomegranate with a meat mallet or something similar. The seeds will start to fall into the bowl. Rotate the pomegranate to get as many of the seeds as possible out as you do this.
IMG_1117.JPG

4. Remove the white membrane from inside the pomegranate half to loosen the remaining seeds. Also remove any membrane fragments that fall into the bowl. Repeat with the other half of the pomegranate.

NOTE: since you're straining it later, you don't have to get every last bit out.

5. Place as many seeds as possible in a juicer. Squeeze as much as possible out of the seeds. Without removing the seeds in the juicer, place additional seeds and repeat.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

NOTE: placing new seeds over the "spent" seeds give the juicer extra leverage to press more of the juice out.

6. Strain the juice from the bowl into a different container using a sieve.

Last edited:
but I don't have one of those juicers... :ohmy:
Now might be time to get one! Here's just about the same one I found for ridiculously cheap ($4.59)....much less than the $20 I paid in a kitchen supply store. Funnily enough, they have separate juicers for lemons and limes, but I opted for the largest (orange juicer), since of course the smaller citrus still fits.

Web Restaurant Store is a phenomenal source for anything you could possibly want in the kitchen, and they apparently deliver internationally.

I just managed to juice a pomegranate using a 'reamer' it sort of worked - I had to sieve out the pips afterwards and press them through sieve to extract extra juice. A bit of a palaver really! I can buy pomegranate juice form the supermarket. And I can buy the arils all done for me in a nice little packet, too. Would I do that? :whistling:

This is the sort of reamer I used:

Unknown-197.jpg

I just managed to juice a pomegranate using a 'reamer' it sort of worked - I had to sieve out the pips afterwards and press them through sieve to extract extra juice. A bit of a palaver really! I can buy pomegranate juice form the supermarket. And I can buy the arils all done for me in a nice little packet, too. Would I do that? :whistling:

This is the sort of reamer I used:

View attachment 13152
Since you're straining it anyway, it doesn't need to be pretty. But, I imagine this made quite a mess!

Whenever I see a recipe (including ones I make) calling for freshly-squeezed juice, I expect that something pre-made would do in a pinch. But, having squeezed it myself, I'm amazed at how delicious it was. Now, I want to buy some pre-made juice and compare it.

Since you're straining it anyway, it doesn't need to be pretty. But, I imagine this made quite a mess!

Whenever I see a recipe (including ones I make) calling for freshly-squeezed juice, I expect that something pre-made would do in a pinch. But, having squeezed it myself, I'm amazed at how delicious it was. Now, I want to buy some pre-made juice and compare it.

I will have to do a comparison.

@The Late Night Gourmet

On a personal note, fresh pomegranate juice is a billion times better than anything you will buy that has been industrialised .. You are wasting your time and money ..

Lovely juice and well done instructions for those who do not know how ..

I agree with you @Francesca...however I haven't found pomegranate in the supermarket, so for the challenge I think I'll use pomegranate juice (sadly industrialised)....:(

I agree with you @Francesca...however I haven't found pomegranate in the supermarket, so for the challenge I think I'll use pomegranate juice (sadly industrialised)....:(

@MypinchofItaly

Pomegranates are from Granada, Andalusia and I am sure they are also grown ( latitude wise) in Calabria and Southern Puglia or Sicilia ..

They are a Christmas fruit here and it is rare to see after the holidays .. Short harvest season ..

You can check at Eataly perhaps .. or google The Farmers´ Markets in Milano ..

@MypinchofItaly

Pomegranates are from Granada, Andalusia and I am sure they are also grown ( latitude wise) in Calabria and Southern Puglia or Sicilia ..

They are a Christmas fruit here and it is rare to see after the holidays .. Short harvest season ..

You can check at Eataly perhaps .. or google The Farmers´ Markets in Milano ..

Yep right, pomegranate grown in the South of Italy and they are also Xmas fruit. Find them (those good) in this period in Lombardia is not easy, almost impossible...I'll check on NaturaSi' website..or at least I'll go to Puglia :laugh:

Last edited:
I recently read of another way to "juice" a pomegranate:

1. Drop the seeds into a blender
2. Blend!
3. Strain what remains

It seems that this way would require a liquid to get the seeds pulled into the blades.

Those seeds can be a problem, whether juicing the arils or doing something else. I've found that if you boil down the arils long enough the seeds will soften like rice and then, I would think, blending them would work fine.

I'm kind of POed at myself for buying a blender where the bottom where the blades are does not screw on and off. The one I have is a Hamilton Beach and it can be problematic when I try to grind things up and have to spoon stuff out of the bottom of it. I understand that adding liquid comment you make here, only too well.

Yep right, pomegranate grown in the South of Italy and they are also Xmas fruit. Find them (those good) in this period in Lombardia is not easy, almost impossible...I'll check on NaturaSi' website..or at least I'll go to Puglia :laugh:

@MypinchofItaly

Have you checked yet to see if you could locate some Pomegranates in Puglia ( Apulia ) (NaturaSi ) ?

Have a lovely weekend ..

Speedy recovery wishes ..

@MypinchofItaly

Have you checked yet to see if you could locate some Pomegranates in Puglia ( Apulia ) (NaturaSi ) ?

Have a lovely weekend ..

Speedy recovery wishes ..

I've checked on Esselunga and NaturaSi' website but there is only the juice, not fruit. When I'll get well I'll go to do shopping in another supermarket..Or at least , near to my office, there is the open market every Tuesday and lot of Southern fruit banconist.

Back
Top Bottom