Recipe Pomegranate Meats Rouleaux Carnaval and Rice Boules

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:37 AM
This is my first attempt at cooking anything with Pomegranate. As I am the judge for this month's challenge, I will not be judging it, but present here only as an example.

This is the result ...

pomegranate00.png

A deep fried dish featuring Pomegranate, this recipe incorporates three meats, Lamb, Chicken and Shrimp. It could well be used with a larger variety of meats, Salmon, Beef, Crab, Venison, Duck, etc. Feel free to make substitutions, if desired. The Pomegranate is boiled down with dried Cranberries to form a jam or preserve which can be used as a marinade, a spread, a topping or a filling. Unlike traditional Pomegranate Molasses, Sugar and Lemon Juice are not used. Instead, the dried Cranberries provide additional sweetener.

The ingredients are summarized in the following imaage ...

PG_Ingredients.png

No measurements are given and those who wish to try this recipe are free to use their own preferences on proportioning ingredients. Ingredients not mentioned are water for boiling down the pomegranate and a light cooking oil for deep frying.

PROCEDURE:

1) Remove the arils from the Pomegranates. NOTE: Do the following procedure over the bowl intended to collect the arils to capture any juice that may erupt. There are several ways to do this, but it is suggested to first cut the top off of the Pomegranate and then cut a pie shaped wedge out by cutting along two pith lines. These lines extend outward from the pith core and after cutting off the top, a star shape will be seen where the pith lines radiate outward from the center. This procedure will limit the severing of arils and the unwanted outflow of juice allowing for a less messy and drier procedure. After removing the initial wedge, the remainder of the Pomegranate can be pulled apart and broken up with the fingers.

PG_Arils.png

The thumb or the tip of a teaspoon may be used to pressure the arils out by taking care which direction the pressure is applied.

2) For every 4 units of Pomegranate, add 1 unit of dried Cranberries.

3) In a pot, place the mixture of Pomegranate arils and dried Cranberries. Add enough water to cover the mix and heat at about 275 degrees for more or less 2 hours, stirring regularly with the intent to crush the arils when possible. More water may need to be added to complete the process, if the water reduces off too quickly. Do not pour off the water, reduce it off as steam. When complete, spoon out the jam or preserve into a Tupperware bowl, cover, allow to cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

PG_Jam.png

4) Prepare the ground Lamb and Chicken to marinate. In separate containers, break up the ground Lamb into 1/2 inch chunks. Similarly, cut up the Chicken Breast into 1/2 inch cubes. Water down a small portion of the Pomegranate preserve, enough to allow it to easily cover the Lamb and Chicken as a Marinade. The Pomegranate/Cranberry preserve serves as an enzymatic marinade, not an acidic one. There is no need for an acidic element in the marinade. After marinating, refrigerate for about 2 days.

PG_Marinade.png

5) Boil the Shrimp. For this recipe, broken Shrimp pieces may be used. After the shrimp have cooked, been removed and allowed to cool, they should be broken up into about 1/2 inch pieces, put into a container and refrigerated.

6) Boil some Rice, any variety, reduce the water and spoon into a bowl, allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. You don't need a lot of rice. This will be used for the Rice Boules.

7) Chop up the Pecans into smaller pieces to serve as an addition to the filling. Store.

On the day of meal preparation, proceed as follows ...

1) Gather all ingredients.

2) For each Rouleaux Carnaval, lay out a Flour Wrap (Rice Paper Wraps can be used, if available) and wet the inside so that when rolled, the roll sticks together. Lay the wrap down as a diamond, not as a square.

3) Spread some Cream Cheese on what will be the center area of the wrap. Cover this lightly with the chopped Pecan pieces. Add the meat, Lamb, Chicken or Shrimp. Then cover with a small amount of the Pomegranate preserve.

PG_RollPrep.png

4) To roll the wrap, first pull the bottom tip up and over the fillings. Then fold over the sides. Finally, roll up from the bottom. Press the Flour Wrap to make it stick together and set aside. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each additional Rouleaux Carnaval.

5) Mix together the Rice, some Pecan pieces and a small amount of the Pomegranate preserve in a bowl.

6) Lay out a Flour Wrap as a diamond, not a square. Wet the inside of the wrap. Place a ball of the Rice, Pecan, Pomegranate preserve mixture in the middle of the wrap. Pull each corner straight up simultaneously, pleating if possible, and twist them together. Cut away the excess above the Rice Boule just formed. Set aside and repeat step 6 for each additional Boule.

pomegranate16.png

7) Prepare a Pomegranate syrup by adding a small amount of water to the preserve and heat.

8) Heat cooking oil in a deep pot to about 425 degrees. When the oil has reached the appropriate temperature, drop in Rouleaux Carnavals and Boules, a few at a time, let brown, remove and allow to dry.

9) Lay out one each of the three meat Rouleaux Carnavals and two or three Boule on a plate. Cut a wedge of Brie cheese sideways and spread in some syrup and recover. Place on the plate. I've added cooked Brocolli too as a palette cleanser. Cover the Rouleaux Carnavals and Boules with a small amount of the syrup.

10) Serve.

pomegranate00.png

Enjoy.

Compliments ..

And, extremely well done photographic instructions step by step.

Cheese and fruit preserves are very common here and in Provençe, France ..

I would like to prepare your recipe however with shellfish only (need to think about which to pairings shall work for us), and I would serve the pomegrante preserves separately for dipping ..

Lovely photographs too ..

Fabulous work @flyinglentris! You seem to have almost inadvertently joined in the Cookalong too because I think those boules are arguably a type of Chinese Dumpling! If you agree I'll link this over on the Cookalong thread too.

Fantastic step by step photographs and a very interesting recipe too. I have a pomegranate recipe coming up - but its nowhere near as complex as this one.

My family likes to have parties with an abundance of finger food. Your cranberry/pomegranate mixture with cheese will be a welcomed addition to our next party.

DITTO @morning glory - your Rouleaux Carnavals and Boule should be a contender in the Cookalong. A lovely, detailed presentation.

Compliments ..

And, extremely well done photographic instructions step by step.

Cheese and fruit preserves are very common here and in Provençe, France ..

I would like to prepare your recipe however with shellfish only (need to think about which to pairings shall work for us), and I would serve the pomegrante preserves separately for dipping ..

Lovely photographs too ..

Thanks for your kind words. Shellfish would work. My experience with this recipe is that the final result was very juicy and flavorful. I did not know what to expect when I started and was well satisfied with the results.

Fabulous work @flyinglentris! You seem to have almost inadvertently joined in the Cookalong too because I think those boules are arguably a type of Chinese Dumpling! If you agree I'll link this over on the Cookalong thread too.

Fantastic step by step photographs and a very interesting recipe too. I have a pomegranate recipe coming up - but its nowhere near as complex as this one.

DITTO @morning glory - your Rouleaux Carnavals and Boule should be a contender in the Cookalong. A lovely, detailed presentation.

Sure. Go ahead and link this recipe into the Cookalong.

And I learned something! I never knew they were called arils.

I have a habit of researching before jumping into projects, whatever they are. Being retired hasn't changed that. When I was informed that I would be judging the next challenge, I went digging for a suitable ingredient and when I settled on Pomegranate, I had already go a ways to find out a lot about them and how they are used. Before then, I didn't know they were arils, either.

Thanks for your kind words. Shellfish would work. My experience with this recipe is that the final result was very juicy and flavorful. I did not know what to expect when I started and was well satisfied with the results.

@flyinglentris

Quite a fine job and I look forward to preparing it .. I am going to look at a book I have on Granada ( Spanish for Pomegranate ) and Andulusian Cuisine and see how it has been used ..

I had a remarkably outstanding dish in Granada with baked monkfish & pomegranates with a drizzle of honey .. and White wine .. I recall it was amazing ..

So I need to see .. We also have Mediterranean Grouper in season now .. I shall let you know .. and post the recipe in the fish & shellfish section ..

Definitely, shall see if I can get fresh cranberries .. They are not very common in Spain however, they do come in the dry variety and are sold with dried fruits at the Farmer´s Markets ..

Truly lovely work ..

Have a nice evening .. 23.35 here so I must say goodnight as we have to get up very early tomorrow ..

The pomegranate-cranberry jam is the real star of the show, though you used some terrific techniques and smart parings here. I'm going to have to make some myself!

@The Late Night Gourmet these rolls and balls are very juicy and deliciously savory. I find that the lamb was best. I've already gone back and used left over ingredients to fry up some more last night.

Quite a fine job and I look forward to preparing it .. I am going to look at a book I have on Granada ( Spanish for Pomegranate ) and Andulusian Cuisine and see how it has been used ..

I had a remarkably outstanding dish in Granada with baked monkfish & pomegranates with a drizzle of honey .. and White wine .. I recall it was amazing ..

So I need to see .. We also have Mediterranean Grouper in season now .. I shall let you know .. and post the recipe in the fish & shellfish section ..

Definitely, shall see if I can get fresh cranberries .. They are not very common in Spain however, they do come in the dry variety and are sold with dried fruits at the Farmer´s Markets ..

Truly lovely work ..

Have a nice evening .. 23.35 here so I must say goodnight as we have to get up very early tomorrow ..

Thanks for your compliments. I have a great appreciation for folks who love shellfish, fish and other seafood. I feel sorry for those who have allergic reactions to these fine and wonderfully scrumptious food items.

BTW: I will post upcoming a seafood dish that I think will get the salivary glands running for a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom