The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:01 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
EDIT: updated for those who want to try a vegetarian version of this dish.

When the recipe challenge was decided to be about peas, I thought "how can I take this simple ingredient and make it overly complicated?" I'm still struggling to find a use that makes peas the star. But, in this recipe, peas play an important role. Note that these are things that look like they should be thrown in a wok and stir-fried together. But, Bibimbap is a Korean rice dish where all the components are prepared separately and arranged in the bowl.

Brussels sprouts aren't traditionally part of the dish, but I don't care: it's my recipe, so they're going in! The dish is also traditionally prepared using a dolsot, an earthenware bowl that goes in the oven so the rice (which is under the meat and vegetables) is heated to sizzling. But, this is not essential to enjoying the dish. If you do feel like making it, I highly recommend storing the components separately so the presentation doesn't suffer.

7SeJLYq3Tzak9o4H0okL_IMG_0431.jpg

Ingredients

1 lb pork tenderloin (or 14 ounce pack of extra firm tofu)
8 ounces Brussels sprouts
6 ounces bean sprouts
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 large carrots, shredded
4 ounces snap peas
3 ounces sesame oil
3 tablespoons Chinkiang vinegar
3 ounces olive oil
6 tablespoons gochujang
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 garlic cloves, grated
3 teaspoons ginger, grated
6 large eggs (omit for vegetarian option)

Directions

1. Create gochujang paste: Mix gochujang with sugar, grated garlic cloves, grated ginger, apple cider vinegar. Chinkiang vinegar, and sesame oil.
  2. NOTE: skip this step if using tofu instead. Trim fat from pork. Cut pork into 1/2" chunks. Mix thoroughly in a small amount of the gochujang paste, using just enough to coat, and marinade in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
  3. Drain liquid from tofu and discard. Cut tofu into 1/2" chunks. Mix thoroughly in a small amount of the gochujang paste, using just enough to coat, and marinade in refrigerator for at least 4 hours
  4. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to medium-hot wok. Cook pork (If using) on both sides, then set aside and cover. If using tofu instead, pan fry until slightly browned, then turn over to brown the other side. Set aside and cover.
  5. NOTE: the vegetables will be cooked separately, and should also be stored that way. Make sure to cook them in the same wok where the pork was cooked to integrate the flavors.
  6. Steam Brussels sprouts and snap peas - keeping them separated - for about 10 minutes, then set aside.
  7. Cut Brussels sprouts into chunks Toss in a small amount of gochujang paste, then cook in the wok for a few minutes, tossing to cook all sides. These should have enough moisture that they don't need oil. Remove from heat, set aside, and cover.
  8. Toss bean sprouts in a small amount of gochujang paste, then cook in the wok for a few minutes, stirring frequently. These should also have enough moisture that they don't need oil. Remove from heat, set aside, and cover.
  9. Toss carrots in gochujang paste, then cook in the wok for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add oil as needed so they cook properly. Remove from heat, set aside, and cover.
  10. Toss snap peas in gochujang paste, then cook in the wok for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add oil as needed so they cook properly. Remove from heat, set aside, and cover.
  11. Boil some rice, per your preference, and add enough to cover the bottom of a serving bowl. If you have a dolsot (Korean stone cooking bowl), warm the bowl according to manufacturer instructions.
  12. Assemble the meat and vegetables in separate wedges around the bowl (look at image for a guide on how this should look).
  13. OPTIONAL: Add some oil to the pan and cook 1 egg for each serving. Cook egg sunny-side up until the egg white just turns a solid white. Other eggs can be saved until they're ready for serving.
  14. OPTIONAL: Top bowl with fried egg and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Oh, you've gotta have hot earthenware bowls in order to crisp the rice on the bottom.

But yours does sound and look good.

My wife loves Bibimbap so much I bought her the bowls as a birthday gift a few months ago.

I'll have to break them in using your recipe.

Oh, you've gotta have hot earthenware bowls in order to crisp the rice on the bottom.

But yours does sound and look good.

My wife loves Bibimbap so much I bought her the bowls as a birthday gift a few months ago.

I'll have to break them in using your recipe.

I love it when people try out recipes! :D:okay:

P.S. @SatNavSaysStraightOn is vegetarian (with eggs) so you could suggest a sub for the tenderloin for a vegetarian version of the dish. :whistling:
err - I'm vegan plus eggs... (vegetarian minus dairy) Slight difference....
:oops: Good point! I think I can make a few strategic edits that can clarify things.
:giggle:
6 large eggs (omit for vegetarian option)
vegetarians eat eggs, its vegans that don't. I'm veggan which is vegan plus eggs.... just to keep you on your toes! :giggle:

err - I'm vegan plus eggs... (vegetarian minus dairy) Slight difference....
Sorry! But 'the boy done well' (as they say). I'm very impressed by the speed and elegance with which @The Late Night Gourmet responded to the challenge within the challenge! I'l be trying out the veggan version.

Back
Top Bottom