Pork crackling anyone?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:32 AM
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

We can get pork crackling or scratching so as they are also called. The stuff we buy here is pretty ordinary so years ago I started trying to make my own. I'll put pics up soon but you need to get the skin from the back of the pig, hard stuff from the sun toughening it up. Then with a sharp knife take the fat off just leaving bare skin. Then put salt over it and put it over a slotted pan and fan bake until it reaches 200 c then it should be rolling up or close to it. I then switch to grill and max temp and open the door and cook til it's done.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood the difference between pork crackling and pork scratchings. They are completely different in texture - is it a different method of cooking?

I've never understood the difference between pork crackling and pork scratchings. They are completely different in texture - is it a different method of cooking?

Isn't it just that the scratchings are dried out? I don't know though.

Mmm, looks good. Perfectly made, actually.

The secret to my very non-vegematarian, award winning pea soup is to start with bits of skin and fat from a holiday ham. You render out the oil from the fat under the skin until the skin crisps, reserve the crisps for a separate snack, then use the rendered oil to sweat the onions and carrots before going into a crock pot with dried split peas, rosemary, and stock (and other secret ingredients)..

If you have no croutons to put on the finished soup, you can sprinkle some of the chicharones on top for texture.​

Mmm, looks good. Perfectly made, actually.

The secret to my very non-vegematarian, award winning pea soup is to start with bits of skin and fat from a holiday ham. You render out the oil from the fat under the skin until the skin crisps, reserve the crisps for a separate snack, then use the rendered oil to sweat the onions and carrots before going into a crock pot with dried split peas, rosemary, and stock (and other secret ingredients)..

If you have no croutons to put on the finished soup, you can sprinkle some of the chicharones on top for texture.​

The last time I made chicken noodle soup, I kept the skin, rendered it, and then broke it up and sprinkled on top of the soup right before serving. BEST chicken noodle soup we've ever had.

I don't know any difference, just what part of the country you live in. These morsels melt in your mouth, the scratching so we get here commercially are pretty tough and plain. The ones I make are still warm when I take to the pub on a Friday night. They go in about 15 mins.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom