The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:03 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
887995ac-899e-4775-9bce-0cbd3a2bdda3-jpeg.jpg

This was inspired by a desperate need to use a massive amount of basil. This recipe is normally done with chicken, but I decided to see what would happen if I made it with pork chops.

I grilled the chops partway, and I had to pull them off the grill before I could get the classic cross-hatch pattern (as the fat melted, it flamed up, and some if it got scorched...in a good way).

Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds pork chops
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Gochujang seasoning (or similar spicy seasoning)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
1 serrano pepper, diced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons ponzu
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 cup Thai basil leaves

Directions

1. Keep pork chops whole with fat on. Brush with sesame oil on both sides, and rub seasoning on both sides. Grill over medium-high flames for about 2 minutes per side...just enough to get a char.

a0b41622-6981-44a3-85ba-17c46bd90d97-jpeg.jpg

2. Remove from heat, and allow chops to rest for at least 5 minutes. Cut into equal-sized chunks and set aside.

3. Add canola oil to a medium-high heat wok. Cook onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, and peppers and heat for another minute while stirring constantly to prevent burning.

4. Add ponzu, fish sauce, chicken stock, and pork. Scrape up everything in the pan, and heat for another 5 minutes.

5. Lower heat to medium-low. Add basil leaves, and stir thoroughly to coat. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

Back
Top Bottom