Pork, sage and onion stuffing.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:16 AM
My mum used to make pork, sage and onion stuffing for the turkey at Christmas. Although I've never cooked it myself, I thought that I'd give it a go.

My mum used "skinned" sausage but I intend to use very finely minced pork. Fresh sage is not available here so I'll need to use dried.

So my plan is minced pork, minced onion and garlic, dried sage, breadcrumbs, egg and seasoning.

Does anyone have experience of this type of stuffing? It will be roasted in a casserole not inside a bird.

Years ago, I made a stuffing recipe given to me by a friend every year. From memory, I used ground sausage, celery & onion browned in butter, poultry seasoning, sage or parsley, crushed Ritz crackers, some chicken broth and egg. Will try to dig it up.

Last edited:
I don't use sausage, but it would work in my recipe using herbed bread cubes, onion, celery, butter, chicken stock, poultry seasoning, S&P. I would either buy bulk sausage or make homemade. We call it dressing if it isn't stuffed in the bird.

Fresh sage is not available here so I'll need to use dried.

Fresh Sage is not normally available at this time of year in the UK anyway and my Ma used to keep a dried bunch of it near the fireplace to be used in stuffings.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg
Fresh Sage is not normally available at this time of year in the UK anyway and my Ma used to keep a dried bunch of it near the fireplace to be used in stuffings.

I'm about 10 foot away from our herbs growing fresh. Year round we have sage oregano thyme and rosemary. Seasonal is basil and coriander.also parsley

Russ

Thanks for the advice. I don't have apple and I don't like celery (never have done) so I left those out. I fried the minced onion and garlic in butter and then just mixed everything up. I'll pop it in the halogen this afternoon.

1 s.jpg

2 s.jpg

It looks a little too wet to me. Unless it's my screen. I just stir the liquid in until the crumbs are moistened. If it's too loose, maybe you could add some toasted bread cubes. See what you think.

It looks a little too wet to me. Unless it's my screen. I just stir the liquid in until the crumbs are moistened. If it's too loose, maybe you could add some toasted bread cubes. See what you think.

The only liquid that I added was 1 egg.

I put it in a casserole dish and cooked it for about 15 minutes at 180 degC in the halogen oven. I brushed a little olive oil over the surface first. I had a taste whilst it was still hot. It's very close to what I was intending to produce but there's something missing.

5 s.jpg

This was when it had cooled down a little.

View attachment 21282
The texture looks right - what was missing in the taste? Perhaps you needed more dried sage? Usually if I make any sort of stuffing containing meat I fry a little piece of the mix before I cook the whole lot and adjust the seasoning accordingly. It could just be it needed more salt.

The texture looks right - what was missing in the taste? Perhaps you needed more dried sage? Usually if I make any sort of stuffing containing meat I fry a little piece of the mix before I cook the whole lot and adjust the seasoning accordingly. It could just be it needed more salt.

I think you may be right about the salt. I always have a problem with salt because I do eat a lot of it. My wife tried the cold result but didn't like it. That could have been the sage because there was nothing else in there that she doesn't normally eat. Of course, it could've been that there wasn't a shed full of chillis!

I put it in a casserole dish and cooked it for about 15 minutes at 180 degC in the halogen oven. I brushed a little olive oil over the surface first. I had a taste whilst it was still hot. It's very close to what I was intending to produce but there's something missing.

View attachment 21278

I'm glad it's close to what you had in mind. Perhaps next time you'll have a better idea of the seasonings and amounts you want to use.

I've seen stuffin' muffins. The stuffing is baked in muffin tins.

Back
Top Bottom