Recipe Port Marinaded Sausages with Red Onion Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:54 PM
I had an idea about marinading sausages for the current CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I looked at what I had available. In terms of alcohol, my first port of call (pun intended), I had wine, sherry or port. The port had been around since Christmas, so I thought ‘Why not? It needs to be used!’.

This turned out to be a very simple recipe with only a few ingredients. It produces a sweet and rich sauce. I served it with braised cabbage and crispy mini roasted potatoes. Mashed potatoes would be good instead.

20170802_144824.jpg

Ingredients (
serves 2)
6 pork sausages
200 ml port
Zest and juice of 1/2 an orange
2 large red onions
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp Marmite or 1 tbsp concentrated beef stock
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
  1. Pierce the sausages all over with a sharp knife. Place the sausages in a freezer bag and pour the port mixed with orange zest and juice over them. Seal the bag (I just twisted the top and loosely knotted it). Leave overnight. I left it on the kitchen counter but in a hot climate, put it in the fridge.
  2. Thinly slice the red onions. Cook gently in oil until they are soft and caramelised (15 mins). Add the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring. Add the port marinade (just pour it out of the freezer bag) plus 100 ml of water and the Marmite or beef stock. Add the thyme sprigs. Cook gently for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  3. Add the sausages to the sauce. Cover and cook over a low heat for 25 mins. Add more water if the sauce becomes to thick.

Last edited:
Just normal pork sausages - not smoked or cured.
Ok now I am really confused. Do you mean something like our weiners or franks? Like are in your pork and beans?
Normal pork sausage is not translating well.
We have pork sausage like in my sausage dip (what you call sausage meat)
We have polish sausage and assorted other smoked sausages which can be pork, beef, chicken or a combination.
Then we have weiners or franks which are also known as hot dogs.
Your picture looks like our ball park franks or a polish sausage.
Hot links or a breakfast sausage in casings.
Or oversized little smokies.

Last edited:
Fresh sausage..ground pork in casings...

@Rocklobster

Definitely fresh porc sausages in casings.

Smoked and dried sausages called Chorizo and Fuets as well, are eaten as a " charcuterie snack " ..

They are normally not cooked because they are smoked or dried ..

If they are cooked, they are usually paired with eggs or potatoes as an enhancer, here in Spain and for a only a couple of minutes !!

Have a lovely day ..

I had an idea about marinading sausages for the current CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I looked at what I had available. In terms of alcohol, my first port of call (pun intended), I had wine, sherry or port. The port had been around since Christmas, so I thought ‘Why not? It needs to be used!’.
Looks gorgeous! My first thought was 'what a waste of port', but then the thought of mashed potatoes with that lovely sauce got the better of me :laugh:

It strikes me as interesting that three of us have all added quite similar recipes with just a change of ingredients in the sauce. I actually put mine under "soups, stews and casseroles" rather than "meat and poultry" because the sausages were cooked in the sauce rather than the sauce made separately.

Last edited:
That's correct. Its the 'banger' in British 'bangers and mash' and in the UK if we use the word sausages that is what we mean. The same sort of sausages as are used in @Elawin's one-pot-sausages-with-leeks-and-beans and @Yorky 's Sausage, potatoes and roasted green chilies.
See now I learned something. The problem came in with the use of the word normal. You meant common in your grocery stores. Here if you say use sausage (no clarifiers) the person doing the shopping will more than likely pick up the sausage used in my recipe because that is the most common sausage used down here. Had you said fresh pork sausages, ok that I can do. Sometimes, other times they are hard to find in our stores without paying 3 arms and 4 legs.

Hey MG, I think we would be lost in each other's grocery stores. Now where are the pig's feet and hog jowls? Do you have tripe?

@Cinisajoy

Spain and Italy and parts of France have all the organ meats of pigs, cows and sheep available in the central main markets and the rural areas.

There is a famous Tapa, called: Callos .. (Pronounced: Kai ohs ) and it is tripe of porc or veal or both prepared in a spicy smoked paprika thick sauce, Pimentón picante ( hot ) and pimentón dulce (mild or sweet ).

They are very very traditional even today, in the rurals ..

However, this tapa, Callos is one of the most popular. Another popular one is " Orejas " ( pigs ears sautéed in Evoo with fresh Lemon juice and garlic minced).

Have a nice day ..

Hey MG, I think we would be lost in each other's grocery stores. Now where are the pig's feet and hog jowls? Do you have tripe?
Supermarkets don't tend to sell those things - although ox cheek is available from Waitrose and its a great product. Tripe is available from butchers but not very popular (at least, not in the South). I think its also fallen out of fashion elsewhere in the UK. Pigs trotters can also be obtained from butchers - but again, are not often used and you would probably have to order them.

Supermarkets don't tend to sell those things - although ox cheek is available from Waitrose and its a great product. Tripe is available from butchers but not very popular (at least, not in the South). I think its also fallen out of fashion elsewhere in the UK. Pigs trotters can also be obtained from butchers - but again, are not often used and you would probably have to order them.
My parents always used to have either tripe or jellied eels for Saturday dinner. Yuk! Unfortunately the mutt loves tripe..... Maybe it's more popular in east London/west Essex, although with older people.
I often used to cook trotters, but these days supermarkets seem to be more interested in selling the hand and maybe spring. I used to buy pigs heads too, for brawn, but again these days you'd have to go to a butchers to get one.

I
@Cinisajoy

Spain and Italy and parts of France have all the organ meats of pigs, cows and sheep available in the central main markets and the rural areas.

There is a famous Tapa, called: Callos .. (Pronounced: Kai ohs ) and it is tripe of porc or veal or both prepared in a spicy smoked paprika thick sauce, Pimentón picante ( hot ) and pimentón dulce (mild or sweet ).

They are very very traditional even today, in the rurals ..

However, this tapa, Callos is one of the most popular. Another popular one is " Orejas " ( pigs ears sautéed in Evoo with fresh Lemon juice and garlic minced).

Have a nice day ..
I just googled Callos recipes. Every one that I found said beef or ox tripe not pork or porc.
Oh and it sounds good except for the tripe.

Back
Top Bottom