Recipe Portobello Tagliatelle with Roasted Garlic

Here's the same pasta with an alfredo sauce I made last night. Very tasty, but I'm glad I decided to use olive oil and roasted garlic to highlight the pasta itself. :)

IMG_0746.JPG

Your pasta machine looks much like mine - but mine does have a tagliatelle cutter. The semolina in the mix does work quite well as it adds a bit of texture (home-made pasta can be a bit 'slimy' when cooked) it makes it less sticky so easier to roll.

The tagliatelle cutter on mine is getting dull...you can see that some pieces are stuck together on the drying rack, and I decided to wait until after they were cooked to separate them. I'm guessing there's someone somewhere who sharpens these things, but it would probably be cheaper to get a new one. My pasta maker was from WalMart, and it cost $25USD and included tagliatelle and capellini (angel hair pasta) attachments. I see comparable ones for about that price on Amazon.com. If it's something you do more than twice, then I'd say it's worth the investment.

I can see this is going to finish up with me having to listen to you. I recall seeing a competitor on Masterchef the professionals do something that seemed like a revelation when I saw him do it. He made broad sheets of pasta and then turned them into tagliatelle by rolling them up, then chopping the rolls into tagliatelle widths, then unrolling the strips. Of course, it all worked beautifully for him when he did it. When I tried it, they all stuck together and finished up a real mess in my attempts to unroll them. I finished up giving up and cutting individual strips which took ages and gave me a bad back. Semolina eh? I can see I am going to have to try it.

I was just looking at a pasta rolling machine with tagliatelle cutter available online here in the UK for just £22. But the strips looked a little too narrow to me. And yes, my existing pasta machine has a spaghetti cutter which worked all of about three times before it just gave you indented sheets of pasta.

In any case, I have a plan. Mushroom pasta. I'm gonna try it...

You could use ready dried mushrooms like Tom Kerridge - they have a fantastic intense flavour.

Huh. The scientist in me (I'm an engineer, but I'm a frustrated scientist) wants to do it both ways - both slicing and drying them the way @The Late Night Gourmet demonstrates and using the dried porcini mushrooms you educated me to, to see if I can tell the difference. 'Is it really worth all the effort of drying them yourself?' I suppose is the title of the experiment. But then I suppose if using dried is good enough for Tom Kerridge then it is good enough for me...

Huh. The scientist in me (I'm an engineer, but I'm a frustrated scientist) wants to do it both ways - both slicing and drying them the way @The Late Night Gourmet demonstrates and using the dried porcini mushrooms you educated me to, to see if I can tell the difference. 'Is it really worth all the effort of drying them yourself?' I suppose is the title of the experiment. But then I suppose if using dried is good enough for Tom Kerridge then it is good enough for me...
I've never attempted drying them myself. If you really get keen you could buy a dehydrator! I sometimes consider getting one but I so lack space in my kitchen. I believe @SatNavSaysStraightOn has one or did have one.

I recall seeing a competitor on Masterchef the professionals do something that seemed like a revelation when I saw him do it. He made broad sheets of pasta and then turned them into tagliatelle by rolling them up, then chopping the rolls into tagliatelle widths, then unrolling the strips. Of course, it all worked beautifully for him when he did it. When I tried it, they all stuck together and finished up a real mess in my attempts to unroll them.
I, too, have marveled at how the real masters of our craft are able to hand cut pasta flawlessly. The same sort of thing happened when I tried it, but the uneven sizes of my cuts prompted me to mush the whole thing together, roll it out again, and run it through the pasta maker.

Now that you mention it, this must be why I wanted to do what I did. I've been a project control engineer (at Ford Motor Company) for many years, and my dad was a biochemist before he retired. My main reason for drying the mushrooms was because I wanted to see how it would turn out. But, part of the reason was because I wanted to be able to pick the mushrooms, rather than relying on someone else to do that part for me. With that success, I naturally want to expand this to other things. How about bell pepper pasta? Or avocado pasta? Or...hmm...I wonder if I can use blueberries to make purple pasta?

Now that you mention it, this must be why I wanted to do what I did. I've been a project control engineer (at Ford Motor Company) for many years, and my dad was a biochemist before he retired. My main reason for drying the mushrooms was because I wanted to see how it would turn out. But, part of the reason was because I wanted to be able to pick the mushrooms, rather than relying on someone else to do that part for me. With that success, I naturally want to expand this to other things. How about bell pepper pasta? Or avocado pasta? Or...hmm...I wonder if I can use blueberries to make purple pasta?

And I dare say you will produce some very interesting results. But I'm not sure any of them will turn out to be quite as good an idea as mushroom pasta. I get your point about the roasted garlic showing off the pasta to best effect, but I have a feeling that the Alfredo sauce could be the perfect accompaniment to mushroom pasta...

I've never attempted drying them myself. If you really get keen you could buy a dehydrator! I sometimes consider getting one but I so lack space in my kitchen. I believe @SatNavSaysStraightOn has one or did have one.

Hmmm. The space I lack is not in my kitchen, it's in my bank account. Listen I've tried to rustle up interest in a bank robbery before on this site, but there were no takers the last time. As I said last time, it's either that or the killer business idea. Either is good for me, but I'm running out of patience...

And I dare say you will produce some very interesting results. But I'm not sure any of them will turn out to be quite as good an idea as mushroom pasta. I get your point about the roasted garlic showing off the pasta to best effect, but I have a feeling that the Alfredo sauce could be the perfect accompaniment to mushroom pasta...
Of course...garlic pasta! And, as it turns out, the alfredo did work perfectly with the mushroom pasta. I think a red sauce probably would have also been good, but I really don't want to try that because I like this combo so much.

Hmmm. The space I lack is not in my kitchen, it's in my bank account. Listen I've tried to rustle up interest in a bank robbery before on this site, but there were no takers the last time. As I said last time, it's either that or the killer business idea. Either is good for me, but I'm running out of patience...
You already own a dehydrator, which you may refer to by it's more common name (the oven). :wink:

:laugh:

Oh my. Someone has already tried making a blueberry pasta. And, it's what I suspected: this is hard to pivot into a savory dish, because of the strong blueberry flavor. So, I see only dessert recipes (like this).

blueberry-pasta.jpg

Now, of course, I want to make it, and pair it with steak or duck. What's wrong with me?? :wacky:

Oh my. Someone has already tried making a blueberry pasta. And, it's what I suspected: this is hard to pivot into a savory dish, because of the strong blueberry flavor. So, I see only dessert recipes (like this).

blueberry-pasta.jpg

Now, of course, I want to make it, and pair it with steak or duck. What's wrong with me?? :wacky:

I think it would work with duck!

I think it would work with duck!

I don't think that I have ever had duck with any form of pasta!

Back
Top Bottom