Recipe Portuguese Squid Stew

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
9:21 PM
This is more-or-less my mother in law's recipe. I'm going to have to teach her Grand Daughter this when she comes back to England. When I make it with her I'll be more exact on the quantities and revise this. I usually cook it by eye as M-I-L taught me.

• 300g Squid (Though it could have done with about half as much again). Cleaned. The tubes sliced in to rings and the tentacles
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped
  • teaspoon chili flakes
  • 3 small onions halved and sliced
  • 2 carrots thick rings
  • 3 potatoes cubed
  • handful of frozen peas
  • 2 tins tomatoes
  • squirt of tomato puree
  • salt and pepper
  • cornflour
Saute onions until starting to soften. Add squid rings and stir until they start turning white. Add garlic.
Add tinned tomatoes and all the veg.
Add chili flakes.
Salt and pepper to taste.
It needs at least 1.5 hours but I find two is better.

Traditionally you add parsley to the top but I drench the damp tentacles in cornflour and a little salt and chili and fey then for just a minute or two. Makes a nice crunch on the top.

I've got a picture somewhere. I'll take a look.

Thanks for posting @Herbie - I love slow-cooked squid recipes and there aren't many on the Forum. I really must add mine too - which also contains chilli plus squid ink.

Only other slow-cooked squid recipe I could find on the Forum is a retro recipe: Slow-cooked Squid with Asparagus

Last edited:
Thanks for posting @Herbie - I love slow-cooked squid recipes and there aren't many on the Forum. I really must add mine too - which also contains chilli plus squid ink.

Only other slow-cooked squid recipe I could find on the Forum is a retro recipe: Slow-cooked Squid with Asparagus
That looks lovely but I am unable to eat it because of the cream and thought about using coconut milk. then a flash of memory making a fish mocqueca that I made from a recipe book given to me by a lovely Brazilian student who stayed with us. I'll have to make that with squid if husband allows me to make something other than stewed or salt and chili fried when I next buy squid.

Looking forward to seeing your other recipe.

fish mocqueca

I looked it up - very interesting. But I can't take coconut milk so would sub with almond milk or possibly yoghurt!

Re the retro recipe I was simply trying to duplicate it as written - but it would be easy enough to make a home-made asparagus soup to replace the tinned by using the off-cuts from the asparagus, plus maybe veg stock and almond milk (thicken with cornflour).

I just remembered I cooked the Retro recipe a second time and added (skinned) broad beans plus the squid tentacles. I didn't post the photo before (to my knowledge):

fullsizeoutput_3600.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom