Posting Recipes

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:25 AM
Would you post a recipe that you have never made yourself? Personally, I would find it embarrassing if I did that, have someone make it and it turn out to be terrible.:eek: I don't care who the recipe originated from either. Now if someone asks about a recipe for something, I might point them to a general recipe with the caveat, I have never made that recipe.

Last edited:
Would you post a recipe that you have never made yourself? Personally, I would find it embarrassing if I did that, have someone make it and it turn out to be terrible.:eek: I don't care who the recipe originated from either. Now if someone asks about a recipe for something, I might point them to a general recipe with the caveat, I have never made that recipe.

Personally I probably wouldn't but we don't have any rules about it on this forum. Sometimes a recipe catches my eye and I bookmark it to try out. I think I'm experienced enough to know (depending on the type of cooking of course) whether a recipe is likely to work. So, I suppose its possible I might post such a recipe - with the caveat that I hadn't yet tried it out.

For The CookingBites Cookalong, I have sometimes added a basic recipe for the dish or technique concerned. The Cookalong is aimed at cooking something new, so usually I won't have cooked it yet! In this case, I'm quite careful to look for recipes reputable sources.

Would you post a recipe that you have never made yourself? Personally, I would find it embarrassing if I did that, have someone make it and it turn out to be terrible.:eek: I don't care who the recipe originated from either. Now if someone asks about a recipe for something, I might point them to a general recipe with the caveat, I have never made that recipe

Personally I probably wouldn't but we don't have any rules about it on this forum. Sometimes a recipe catches my eye and I bookmark it to try out. I think I'm experienced enough to know (depending on the type of cooking of course) whether a recipe is likely to work. So, I suppose its possible I might post such a recipe - with the caveat that I hadn't yet tried it out.

For The CookingBites Cookalong, I have sometimes added a basic recipe for the dish or technique concerned. The Cookalong is aimed at cooking something new, so usually I won't have cooked it yet! In this case, I'm quite careful to look for recipes reputable sources.

I can see both points. I understand that folks should know about the recipes they are posting, but also understand that there may be times that somebody might want to call attention to something they have seen and ask questions about it. Yes, they should provide proper context to indicate that they have never actually cooked or prepared those recipes.

A couple other points about recipe postings while they are being discussed ...

1) Using photos to document the processes and results is a great thing.

2) I have noted that google images scans usually take the first image they find in posts and therefore I suggest that people place their "Result" photo first. I have taken to doing this and then place it again at the end of the photo documentation.

3) I like to provide context with regard to recipes I post, telling for example why, what's different from other recipes for similar entrees and what my inspiration was.

1) Using photos to document the processes and results is a great thing.

It is - but it can be irritating. It doesn't seem to happen here but I've seen websites/blogs where the author clearly has no sense of editing and includes multiple shots of every stage including the final result.

2) I have noted that google images scans usually take the first image they find in posts and therefore I suggest that people place their "Result" photo first. I have taken to doing this and then place it again at the end of the photo documentation.

Good advice. i tend to put one photo of the finished result at the top and a different (usually closer) shot at the bottom.

I typically wouldn't post a recipe I didn't at least try to make myself. And, if I did base a preparation on a recipe that someone else created, I always provide attribution. Here's how you can tell for sure if a recipe is mine: the lighting is bad, the plating is sloppy, and you can see my granite counter or dirty stove somewhere in the pic. :laugh:

You can tell which are my photos too - usually blue rimmed plates perched on a cake rack next to my hob :D If you see a recipe which does not include these (or shots of my kettle, coffee maker, food processor, etc) then it is probably a recipe I have not cooked myself, although these are usually restricted to a sites/TV programmes of a couple of chefs whom I trust implicitly. I would add that these untried recipes usually contain ingredients that I am allergic to. @morning glory has helped me out a couple of times by cooking the dishes for me :laugh:. Apart from that there have been two or three where I have "borrowed" photos from the original recipe, but only because I have I have not cooked the dishes for some years and did not photograph them at the time. In all cases I credit or post a link to the original recipe/photos.

There have been several recipes I have tried which have not made it to here without a vast amount of tweaking. Not so long ago, I had great fun trying what sounded like a lovely dish from one of the supermarket customers' recipe sites. There was no way that it would work as stated in the recipe - even the picture did not seem to go with the rest of it. There was a lot of tweaking and a lot of changing of cooking times before I came up with something I was satisfied with.

I have had success and failure. I try to be honest with failures hoping to spare you my mistakes. I use "Chef Recipes" as an inspiration. My mind goes crazy. I do my own thing.

Unless I state to the contrary, all the recipes I post I've made myself (and taken the photographs, if any). However, they may not be my original recipes, in which case I try to remember to give credit.

Back
Top Bottom