Postum

Local time
6:02 AM
For those who are fond of coffee but would prefer to have it without the caffeine, Postum is a good substitute for this. I have been missing Postum from off of our shelves for quite a few years now. We used to get it in 2 flavours., the plain one as well as the coffee-flavoured one. I liked the coffee-flavoured one best. I wonder what has become of this beverage though. It also had a calming effect when it was taken before bedtime, and helped to induce sleep.

Do you get Postum where you live? Which one do you drink, the plain one or the coffee-flavoured one? The coffee-flavoured one has the red label, while the plain one has the blue label.

upload_2015-10-10_7-41-46.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnxGGDyn0dT9JTetlMMRoPBqh2PxKsluvcnBa8tM_Q-3bxAs7v.jpg

We don't have it here either but we do have similar types of drinks. I have never really tried any of them because I like the caffeine in my coffee. :)

Caribbean girl, you said you missed Postum for a while? I guess I missed it altogether. I actually saw the thread and came to find out if it was a typo and we were now eating Possums.
I am not a big coffee person so I guess it's no surprise this is foreign to me.

At one point during my childhood, there was some sort of controversy over coffee, and my family and many others boycotted it. I don't recall why that was, but during that time, many turned to Postum. I haven't seen it in quite a while, but I do recall the event.

Ah, here we go, an archived news article about the coffee boycott, it was in 1977.

And, here's another article about 5 Memorable Food Protests.

Caribbean girl, you said you missed Postum for a while? I guess I missed it altogether. I actually saw the thread and came to find out if it was a typo and we were now eating Possums.
I am not a big coffee person so I guess it's no surprise this is foreign to me.

Winterybella, I am surprised that you have never heard of Postum. It used to be a popular beverage here about 10 or so years ago. I remember my dad used to drink lots of it. It was a kind of expensive drink though, like coffee is. However, one had to use only a small amount of Postum to make a mug full. I think it was less than a teaspoonful of Postum to a mug. I would be glad to see it back on our shelves again as it would add more options to the beverages I drink now.

Winterybella, I am surprised that you have never heard of Postum. It used to be a popular beverage here about 10 or so years ago. I remember my dad used to drink lots of it. It was a kind of expensive drink though, like coffee is. However, one had to use only a small amount of Postum to make a mug full. I think it was less than a teaspoonful of Postum to a mug. I would be glad to see it back on our shelves again as it would add more options to the beverages I drink now.
It's probably because I am not a coffee person. I'll have to ask my husband or mother-in-law. Never heard of it. Maybe if it was some English Tea I would be more informed. While not a big tea person either, I've seen quite a few brands over the years.

Back
Top Bottom