Recipe Potato Cakes/Potato Farls

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:35 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Whilst looking at some snacks I came across a Northern Irish recipe for Potato Farls as they are known on the other side of the Irish Sea.... The recipe was published in the Guardian Newspaper back on 16th March 2013.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/16/meet-producer-ditty-oatcakes
As a child I have found memories of reheating potato cakes, lacing them with butter and eating them with the butter dripping down our forearms, and later on melting cheese over them and eating them that way, but potato cakes have always been part of my life.

Ingredients Serves 4-6
75g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
A pinch of salt
250g mashed potatoes, ideally warm
15g melted butter or olive oil

Method.
1 Sift the flour and the salt together and mix this into the mash with the butter, then knead by hand until you have a smooth dough.
2 Roll the dough out on to a floured surface to about a ½cm thickness.
3 Cut into 10cm circles; in Northern Ireland we then cut them into wedges.
4 Heat an unoiled griddle or heavy frying pan. Throw on a little flour and when it turns brown – indicating the pan is hot enough – discard it and place the farls on the heat. Cook for 2 minutes on each side and serve warm

Mmm, potato cakes! This recipe really does bring back memories of a little cafe I used to visit whilst I was at college. Run by a lovely little Northern Irish lady, these would be a part of the "Irish" breakfast she served, along with those strips of what was called "Ulster fry". Has anyone else ever had this? I can only really describe it as being in thin, rectangular strips and tasting like a cross between sausage and bacon. It was lovely stuff!

There was something in Glasgow that I was brought up with which was know as square sausage and we used to have tattie scones (potato cakes), square sausage and dumpling with a fried egg for breakfast/lunch or an evening meal really. The dumpling was a sweet suet mixture that was sliced in to pieces (something like, but not quite clootie dumpling) and then fried as well. So basically it was all fried...

When you look at it clooties or farls are just a type of fried gnocchi mix ,it's just fried where Italians normally poach them ,it's great that ingredients don't fall far from the nest as they say,just regional tweaks

OHEMGEE. I thought Potato Far*s. I was like "oh, that makes sense". It's because sweet potatoes make us produce a lot of gas for some reason. Hahaha. Sorry. Anyway, I love sweet potato cakes. They are really great especially when they are fresh out of the oven.

I love Irish food, it is so simple and yet so delicious. I have been looking for a good potato cake recipe for a while now and I am going to give this one a try. Each potato cake recipe I have found online recently is laden with other ingriedients that I am just not interested in.

OHEMGEE. I thought Potato Far*s. I was like "oh, that makes sense". It's because sweet potatoes make us produce a lot of gas for some reason. Hahaha. Sorry. Anyway, I love sweet potato cakes. They are really great especially when they are fresh out of the oven.

I saw the same thing Nutmegprincess. Potatoe Fa_ts :D. I am glad I am not alone. It sounds like a nice little recipe I could try in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom