Prawn Curry

Did you find a curry you were happy with?

I haven't got round to it yet. We're having prawns today and there will still be some left over if I remember.

I'm Thinking if I peel some green prawns & make a stock from the shells then incorporate this into the sauce then I could add the prawn meat right before serving, keeping them tender & still have a depth of seafood flavour

That's how we sometimes make the stock for our tom yam soup.

So, I've made a curry paste for the prawns.

2 onions
3 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 seeded green chilli
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tsp coriander seed - ground
1 tsp garam masal
2 tsp turmeric powder
400gm canned diced tomato

Sweat the onion for 15 minutes in neutral oil.
Added fennel seed, stir for a minute.
Add the garlic, ginger & the rest of the spices & stir continually for 3 minutes
Add tomato & simmer until really thick.
Cool & blend.

The plan is to let down the paste with prawn stock & the thickest part of a can of coconut cream then gently poach the prawns in the sauce.

Last edited:
I haven't got round to it yet. We're having prawns today and there will still be some left over if I remember.

I eventually went for the sambal udang (because I love it). It's somewhat spicier than the standard Indian curry particularly as we had no cayennes available (I tripled the quantity of Thai chillis). Time will tell.

sambal 2 s.jpg

No prawns yet.

The aniseed flavour is subtle but there... will the coconut be a mistake?

It surprises me that you find the aniseed flavour from fennel seeds subtle with or without coconut milk. I cook a potato and egg dum which is very spicy but the small amount of fennel is extremely evident in the finished dish. And my taste buds are somewhat buggered.

I adore anise/liquorice flavours so perhaps that's why?

My partner has taken a long time to develop a liking for anise flavours in savoury dishes so for him this will be quite prominent I think.

I joined the sambal sauce to the sauteed prawns today. Heated it up. Took a plate full outside, took a photo and then after a mouthful the sky went black and the heavens opened (we sometimes only get 60 seconds warning as was the case today). All hands to the pump then - move the sambal inside, retract the stoep umbrella (else it will migrate to next door), relocate the computer and ancillaries inside, protect the beer, move the chair cushion, etc. The result was that I didn't enjoy my dinner at all (which by that time was cold anyway).

My lips are still stinging though!

Sad, I loathe cold food that's supposed to be hot... though I'll drink cold coffee... that's another conversation.

I did see the sambal prawns photo & it looked delicious.

Sad, I loathe cold food that's supposed to be hot... though I'll drink cold coffee... that's another conversation.
I did see the sambal prawns photo & it looked delicious.

I could have re-heated it but I was a little worried that the prawns would overcook (they'd already been "cooked" twice).

Here is my basic recipe for fish or prawn curry sauce. But you know what, you could use almost any curry suce that you have made before and add a splash of fish sauce! The prawns you just add and cook for a few minutes at the end.

Curry sauce for fish or shellfish curry (for two)
Vegetable oil or ghee for cooking
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
Fresh chillies and fresh coriander (optional)
  • Gently fry the chopped onion in oil until softened (10 minutes)
  • Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes more. Add the fennel and mustard seeds and fry until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
  • Add the coriander, turmeric and chilli powder and stir to mix. Add the tomatoes and Thai fish sauce and mix. Cook the sauce gently, for ten minutes. Add water if the sauce becomes too thick.
  • Blend the sauce to a puree (optional - I used a stick blender).

@morning glory

Definitely a stunner ..

Thank you for posting .. Shall be putting on list of to do´s ..

Back
Top Bottom