Prawn Curry

My wife came back from Makro with about 900 gms of fresh water prawns on Friday. They've now been shelled and deveined and frozen in 200 gm packs.

Today I noticed an unopened pack of butter in the fridge that I'd forgotten that we had so I started to think of hot buttered prawns.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've done a little research on the net and there actually is a dish called hot butter prawns. It's Malaysian/Chinese/Indian but bears little resemblance to what I had imagined (I've lived in all three countries and not come across it before). I was thinking more on the lines of a variation of hot butter chicken but with less tomato content. I'll need to have a think.

[The "best by" date on the butter is 18 November 2017 so no rush]

This is one picture of what I discovered was called "butter prawns" and it didn't give me the impetus to go out and try it.

Attachments

• butter prawns.jpg
    butter prawns.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 235
This is one picture of what I discovered was called "butter prawns" and it didn't provide me the impetus to go out and try it.

butter prawns.jpg

Buttered Prawns :

I have prepared prawns sautéed in butter with a tablsp of Evoo, a garlic clove minced, minced fresh tarragon, some minced fresh basil, some minced fresh chives, and I have flambéed with a dry White wine or vermouth, salt and freshly ground pepper and a tiny dried red chilie pepper crumbled ...

Simple .. And lovely ..

@morning glory

Yes, this is a simple dish .. which can be prepared with butter and a tablsp of Evoo or just Evoo ..

I shall put it in the récipe section ..

I shall be in Bilbao tomorrow so I can do it in the evening after dinner ..

Thanks .. Very elegant récipe !!

The first part of this recipe for butter prawns seems OK - then it gets tediously long! But it may be of interest. I think the first part could be something like what you are looking for. Not sure if you can access it though. @Yorky:

That is very much along the lines that I was thinking. However, I think some of the additives are a bit OTT (soy sauce and oyster sauce?). Also I shall not be cooking my prawns for as long as that. I'll have a look for the written recipe.

That is very much along the lines that I was thinking. However, I think some of the additives are a bit OTT (soy sauce and oyster sauce?). Also I shall not be cooking my prawns for as long as that. I'll have a look for the written recipe.

I agree re length of cooking the prawns! Soy sauce and oyster sauce :oops: I often use them together. And is that tomato ketchup...?

I agree re length of cooking the prawns! Soy sauce and oyster sauce :oops: I often use them together. And is that tomato ketchup...?

Many times I use soy and oyster sauces together but it doesn't (for me) fit in this dish. I will be using tomatoes and puree, not ketchup.

I intend to marinate the prawns in lemon juice, yoghurt and spices for a few hours then stir fry them with onions, garlic and ginger paste for a few minutes. I'll add them to the sauce just before serving.

Many times I use soy and oyster sauces together but it doesn't (for me) fit in this dish. I will be using tomatoes and puree, not ketchup.

I intend to marinate the prawns in lemon juice, yoghurt and spices for a few hours then stir fry them with onions, garlic and ginger paste for a few minutes. I'll add them to the sauce just before serving.

Well that sounds just perfect! :okay:

I have decided to prepare only 400 gms just in case.

butter prawns mont.jpg

[Spices included in the marinade were cinnamon, cardamom (green), cloves, peppercorns and chili powder.]

Last edited:
@morning glory

Thanks for posting the Video.

1) I myself, would never cook fresh prawns that long ..

2) As you had stated, it has soy and oyster sauce .. I do not think I would employ these 2 sauces in such a delicate dish ..

3) Your Yogurt marinade sounds wonderful .. This has a simple flair to it and lovely Asian products .. Love Ginger ..

With fresh shellfish, as we had once discussed on another post, the lesser is more verses hiding the shellfish essences and aromas of the sea ..

I keep my shellfish very very simple .. I do not like disguising the sea component ..

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom