Pre Festive Season Hangover Cures Reveals

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:22 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So its the run up to the festive season and the usual questions start to be asked...

Hangover cures and the usual suspects have their answers, (aka the experts)... The latest in the long line of hangover cures are as follows.
  • the first is hydration and electrolyte balance. drink plenty of water is the advice. A glass before your first intake of alcohol, a glass between each glass of alcohol and finally a glass after you last glass of water. I don't know about you but that would have me running to the bathroom to pee more than I would actually get to drink. Guess it is one way of ensuring you don't get a hangover.
    Under the same heading comes Electrolytes: roll out the usual suspects of sodium, potassium and magnesium and the usual best ever electrolyte drink - aka coconut water. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it. I can drink it straight from a ripe coconut, but the stuff that comes in bottles or tetrapaks, nah - not for me.
  • Next on the list is to eat plenty of fats and proteins prior to drinking. This is similar to the idea of not drinking on an empty stomach. Why no carbs? They are broken down in the body much more quickly than protein and fat, so the idea is that proteins and fats stay in the stomach longer thus presumably meaning that you'll stay feeling full longer and drink less? So again, bring on the usual suspects of high protein foods (meats, fish, eggs, beans. and lentils, and nuts and seeds) and healthy fats (olive oil or flaxseed oil, avocado, nuts and seeds).
  • Eat foods (or supplements) that support the body's liver which is responsible for the breakdown of the alcohol you have consumed. So the usual suspects here are protein rich foods which break down to produce the amino acid called cysteine. The usual suspects here are eggs, onions, garlic, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, kale and cabbage. Turmeric is another of those rolled out into the usual suspects for liver support with it and along with it rockets, watercress and lemon juice. Sounds like a combination of a decent omelette with loads of greens in it and a hot toddy are in order here.
  • Now we get onto the 'just eat a healthy diet' option. That is also known as replacing those vitamins and minerals you apparently lost through drinking the night before! Usual suspects rolled out here are Vitamin C, Magnesium, zinc and calcium along with the B vitamins and fibre.
  • We now get onto the traditional remedies - Milk Thistle is rolled out here. It has, apparently, been proven to protect liver cells from damage (in general, not just from the consumption of alcohol) but presumably it can only do so much....
  • Next comes replacing essential fatty acids. The author of the article suggests taking fish oil capsules here, but if you have had the nice big healthy omelette made up with plenty of fresh eggs, cooked with a little extra virgin olive oil, you could just thrown in the odd extra green or black olive for good measure or make it a sea food omelette and do away with the fish oil capsules altogether?
  • Another of the usual suspects cures is to take a multivitamin tablet. This I guess is making the assumption that perhaps you can't face an omelette because you drank too much the night before and well, all the other suggestions haven't helped?
  • Finally, when all else has failed and I am making the assumption it has at the stage, extra vitamin C is proposed. So cue the smoothie. Perhaps that kale and seafood omelette just isn't you? Then have it as a smoothie instead.
Perhaps I have come across a little too scathingly and you would like to read the article yourself? It can be found here at the Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5153157/Experts-reveal-8-hangover-cures-REALLY-work.html

I think the only thing that the article hasn't suggested that is an almost guaranteed cure, is not to drink so much in the first place! Perhaps I haven't gotten into the spirit of things here for the festive season. :giggle:

I drink so much regularly that I never get hangovers however much I drink. Seriously! The last hangover I recall was 25 years ago when we moved house and discovered the previous occupant had left a bottle of whisky (by mistake I think). As I recall we (the two of us) had already drunk a few beers and a few bottles of wine before we decided to graduate to whisky. We finished the bottle. :sick:

On a sober note (!) whilst hangover free, I'm starkly aware that I am currently leading a very unhealthy lifestyle and unless I stop drinking I will probably not last much longer. :ohmy:

Mixing and not eating while drinking hard liquors is not good for one´s system ..

This is what activated the ancient Tapas or Mezze Movement ..

Men used to stop for supplies and have a wine in Greece, Italy and ancient Spain .. The bartender would serve a tiny tapa or mezze and put it over the glass to keep flies or other un-wanteds from entering the glassware ..

Wine or beer have health benefits however, anything overdone is problematic to one´s health .. ( physically and emotionally for some ) .. Grapes as in Red wines are cáncer preventives and lower blood sugar and cholesterol .. ( White wines do not ) ..

On a sober note (!) whilst hangover free, I'm starkly aware that I am currently leading a very unhealthy lifestyle and unless I stop drinking I will probably not last much longer. :ohmy:
But at least you'll have enjoyed yourself :drink: :cheers: :woot:

I used to be so lucky...could drink almost anything and never have a hangover but that's all changed over the last 10 years and now I get a bit of a fuzzy head or headache if I over-indulge. I try really hard not to drink enough to get a full-blown hangover, but it does happen sometimes :cry:
A cup of strong and not too milky tea is usually enough to get me going the next morning, if something stronger is needed then raspberry Lucozade Sport or Powerade usually sort things out. Why is it the nice things in life aren't good for us?

I really do not remember the last time I had a hangover.

@morning glory I know I drink more than I should. I usually stick to white wine. G prefers red. Malbec is his current favorite. When he opens a bottle of red I usually join him for a glass or two. He has not had any alcohol since his bariatric surgery in August. The recommendation is no alcohol for 6 months.

Hard liquor - I like a dirty vodka martini. I do not want to offend anyone - there is a saying "Martinis are like women's breast - one is not enough and three are too many." I don't drink martinis often. It has been a couple of weeks since I had any.

When I was younger I used sweet mixers. A hangover waiting to happen. I do not like bourbon except with eggnog.. I do like scotch - preferably a single malt. I rarely drink any whiskey. On the rare occasions when I do I have ice cube trays that make very large cubes. So a large cube of ice, scotch and a splash of still water. It has been a couple of years since I have had scotch.

I think one of the reasons I avoid a hangover is hydration. I have a 32 oz. Yeti knock off tumbler. I drink at least 3 of those a day and keep it on my night table for when I wake during the night. It is kept full of plain ice water or infused water.

@morning glory

Yeti is a brand - they specialize in coolers (ice chest) tumblers, ice packs. They even have martini glasses. The chic thing - expensive.

yeti.jpg

Double wall stainless construction. Knock offs are 2/3 to 1/2 the price. I fill my tumbler with ice and water. Drink the water and refill, refill, refill without having to replenish the ice. I put a tumbler of ice water on my night stand before going to bed. In the morning there is still a lot of ice and very cold water. My tumbler goes everywhere with me.

I put a tumbler of ice water on my night stand before going to bed. In the morning there is still a lot of ice and very cold water. My tumbler goes everywhere with me.
I agree, hydration is so important ...whether you've been drinking or not. I always have a pint of water on the bedside table at night. But at room temperature....I can't stand ice cold water (or any other drink for that matter)

Is there anything worse than a hangover :drink::yuck:. I’ve had a few corkers in my time but never bad enough to stop me from doing it again...

I did find Milk Thistle quite good for making it less fierce.

Scene: a pub in Oxford on a New Year's Day. I had a hangover to beat the band and sat staring at a pint of bitter for about twenty minutes. The barman gave me an Underberg. I duly downed it and I was on my next pint of bitter ten minutes later. I think that what actually happens is that Underberg simply makes you drunk again within seconds, so this is not a health tip...

I drink so much regularly that I never get hangovers however much I drink. Seriously! The last hangover I recall was 25 years ago when we moved house and discovered the previous occupant had left a bottle of whisky (by mistake I think). As I recall we (the two of us) had already drunk a few beers and a few bottles of wine before we decided to graduate to whisky. We finished the bottle. :sick:

I like it here. It makes me feel good about my drinking There's a brilliant quote somewhere, about skidding sideways into your final resting place, tyres squealing, body wrecked and totally spent, no regrets and a big grin on your face. Probably not the best life plan, but I can see the appeal!

Back
Top Bottom