Preserving beans

foodlover

Veteran
Local time
7:33 PM
Can anyone answer me a quick question.

I grew a few beans last year, watered them, then when the pods dried out I put the dry beans in a bottle.

I read somewhere though, that you should not even water the bean plants through the growing season if you want to dry store them.

Is this correct? After last year I have a lot more in the ground and don't want to mess it up as I will be storing these for much longer.

If your beans are the red beans, I think what it means about watering is when the pods turn brown. During summer when the weather is hot, the plant will die without water. And watering the plant should be direct to the ground because the brown pod should not get wet... it may fertilize the beans and you will get sprouts. We have planted mung beans and harvested the pods a few months ago. What I did was to experiment by wetting some pod. True to my expectations, the mung beans sprouted on the next day.

We grow beans and they need watering through the summer, once the pods have reached maturity and you want to dry them then you can stop watering

Back
Top Bottom