Preserving lemons

I personally think the pink/red ones are sweeter and not as bitter as the yellow ones. I also liked the color as a little girl since it was prettier.

I personally think the pink/red ones are sweeter and not as bitter as the yellow ones. I also liked the color as a little girl since it was prettier.
I remember them being called pink, too, but Kroger seems to like calling them Ruby Red (which sounds more impressive, or valuable, I suppose).

I don't know where these things get started, but there are also these things, which are called red onions, even though they're clearly somewhere between magenta and purple:

red-onions.jpg

but there are also these things, which are called red onions, even

I bought some organic 'red' onions yesterday - there's so much blue in them that they could have been called purple (however, I'm colour illiterate so take that with a pinch of flaky sea salt crystals)

I used one - cut very thinly - as an alternative to scallions in a tabbouleh. You had proposed using red onion in tabbouleh in another thread a while back - thank you, it worked out well.

The lemon preservation method I'm trying out (or was before my rather lengthy stay in hospital that is) uses the entire lemon sliced up and honey. Nothing else . Usual preservation options, but keep in fridge not a window shelf and invert or stir daily. I've said with the daily invert then total abandonment because of my stay in hospital. Maple syrup ,rice syrup or similar could easily be used. It was just the local honey around here is only $10 per kilo for raw unfiltered honey and tastes divine . I'm using this option as a preservation method, as opposed to making preserved lemons, because I love lemon tea and wanted to make a homemade version. So my thin syrup which is what has turned out is added to a cup of black tea as a sweetener to taste. You can drink it hot ,but usually it is left to go cold and drunk cold. It will also double up very easily to be used for a hot toddy when a night cap is required .

The recipe is it can really be called that is a 1:1 ratio by weight and the usual sterilise jars applies.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my thin syrup which is what has turned out is added to a cup of black tea as a sweetener to taste. You can drink it hot ,but usually it is left to go cold and drunk cold. It will also double up very easily to be used for a hot toddy when a night cap is required .

What happens to the lemons - an you eat them as well or do they dissolve?

I’m not sure if you can see, but I cut two grapefruit into eight pieces each, and added coriander seeds as well as the usual salt. I’ll let you know in about a month how it turned out.

View attachment 17942
I’m certain you all are wondering how things of gone with the grapefruit. I’m here to tell you:

I will probably not be doing this again. I should’ve been able to predict this. Preserving lemon uses salt to draw out the sweetness of the lemon. I have eaten preserved lemon by itself, and I enjoy it. But, grapefruit is essentially bitter, so the salt draws out the bitterness. The first thing you taste is a bitter bite.

But, it’s not all bad. When you pair the bitterness with something sweet or spicy, it adds an interesting effect. In some cases, it tastes delicious.

I’m still experimenting with different combinations, but it’s interesting. However, as I said, I’m not sure if I’ll be doing this again. It seems like a long way to go to get something that might be tasty.

But, it’s not all bad. When you pair the bitterness with something sweet or spicy, it adds an interesting effect. In some cases, it tastes delicious.

Well, you tried! I couldn't have predicted this. In these days of the internet - if you search for an idea you have and it isn't there its usually because it doesn't work!
However, I still live in hope of fresh discoveries. I'm sure there are other ways to preserve grapefruit which would work (aside from marmalade).

Back
Top Bottom