Pressure Cookers: what do you use them for?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

• I don't have one

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have one but I don't use it much

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'm frightened of them

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I use it a lot

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:14 PM
The thing is, I have a pressure cooker in my cupboard. I used it once (it was a disaster - horribly dried out boiled ham). I hate that I can't look whilst things are cooking or taste test, both of which are central to my cooking. I know they are great for cooking things more quickly and lately I've seen TV chefs using them more.

So, do you use a pressure cooker? If so, what do you cook? Give me some tips!

Last edited:
They don't scare me exactly. I just hate the 'not knowing'. But are you saying that you don't have one? I wonder if @Shermie does?
Perhaps I should set a poll... done.

Last edited:
Well technically we own one. It needs a new gasket and a new weeble.
It has needed a new gasket since before hubby and I got married. It was his. I have used it a few times as a heavy pan but never as a pressure cooker.

Well technically we own one. It needs a new gasket and a new weeble.
It has needed a new gasket since before hubby and I got married. It was his. I have used it a few times as a heavy pan but never as a pressure cooker.
Time to chuck it or use it then! :whistling:

Time to chuck it or use it then! :whistling:
It is a great pan if you need a heavy bottom. So I use it on occasion. Or I would have chucked it years ago.
But then, I kept his first wife's pictures in my closet until his niece wanted them.

My old mum used to use a pressure cooker for vegetables (Sunday lunch) and rice pudding.

She once forgot to put the rice in the cooker and it soon "exploded" and spread the milk all over the kitchen ceiling, walls, windows and doors. It took a very long time to rid the kitchen of the smell of stale milk.

For me? I wouldn't bother with one. Since I retired I have plenty of time and as mentioned above, I like to be able to see what is happening during the cooking process.

I didn't mean bin it - just give it away to a charity shop or something.

You ought to live where I live. The whole village is a charity shop. Even in "lending" an item, you are unlikely to see it ever again!

Last edited:
She once forgot to put the rice in the cooker and it soon "exploded" and spread the milk all over the kitchen ceiling, walls, windows and doors. It took a very long time to rid the kitchen of the smell of stale milk.
you were lucky it was only the milk.
My ex-step father once tried to cook rice in one. He put way too much rice in and walked off and left it to its own device. The result was the kitchen ceiling being redecorated not long afterwards... :whistling:
Personally I have never owned one. Like a slow cooker I have wanted to have one, but my OH does not want one and right now his vote wins. I apparently have plenty of time on my hands and don't have the space for either, literally.

Back
Top Bottom