Pressure Cookers: what do you use them for?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

• I don't have one

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have one but I don't use it much

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'm frightened of them

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I use it a lot

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Hi, I use a pressure cooker atleast 3 times a week. Its one of my most useful kitchen tools. It really reduces cooking time and I use it for cooking lentils, curries, meat and tenderising vegetables. I think people are scared to use one as they might not know how to use it properly. But once you learn how to use it, it will soon become an every day use thing!

Hi, I use a pressure cooker atleast 3 times a week. Its one of my most useful kitchen tools. It really reduces cooking time and I use it for cooking lentils, curries, meat and tenderising vegetables. I think people are scared to use one as they might not know how to use it properly. But once you learn how to use it, it will soon become an every day use thing!

Hi @cookwithjovi, I'm one of those cooks who is rather afraid of pressure cookers even though I'm an experienced cook! I have one and once cooked a ham in it - it turned out dry and inedible. The problem I have is that I can't take off the lid to see what is happen or taste the food. So - if you have any tips...

That's great!! :wink:

Hi @cookwithjovi, I'm one of those cooks who is rather afraid of pressure cookers even though I'm an experienced cook! I have one and once cooked a ham in it - it turned out dry and inedible. The problem I have is that I can't take off the lid to see what is happen or taste the food. So - if you have any tips...

Let the pressure drop of its own accord & see what else happens. :wink:

Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker..jpg

I was at BJ's today and saw an electric pressure cooker that looks just like this Cuisinart one, but it had some other brand name on it. Was tempted to get it, but I didn't. Walked away from it! :wink:

I have a lovely pressure cooker (Tower) but can't use it now as it is not suitable for my hob. Changed to a slow cooker instead - same result, just have to use it overnight :D

I have a lovely pressure cooker (Tower) but can't use it now as it is not suitable for my hob. Changed to a slow cooker instead - same result, just have to use it overnight :D

What makes it not suitable for your house? Do you have a pic of it at all? :headshake:

Can't use it on a ceramic hob. When I bought it, I had a much older electric hob with solid rings.
I had my mum's old pressure cooker which had a slightly dented bottom but worked fine on the gas hob. When we bought a cooker with a ceramic hob, I bought a new pressure cooker which has a nice flat bottom so it works brilliantly, no issues at all.

I had my mum's old pressure cooker which had a slightly dented bottom but worked fine on the gas hob. When we bought a cooker with a ceramic hob, I bought a new pressure cooker which has a nice flat bottom so it works brilliantly, no issues at all.
This one has a nice flat bottom too but is not suitable for a ceramic hob. Of course their dearer ones are perfect but at the time I bought it I had a much older electric hob with solid hotplates.

Back
Top Bottom