Pressure Cookers: what do you use them for?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

• I don't have one

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have one but I don't use it much

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'm frightened of them

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I use it a lot

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Pardon my resurrecting this thread, only just joined the forum. I would like to share my experience and passion for using pressure cookers. I have used pressure cookers since I was 15 years old, I'm now 60 and have four of them: one three litre, two four litre and a fifteen litre.

I often have all four going when converting veg surpluses into soups for storage in Kilner Jars.
Using the three smaller cookers to do the veg before transferring to a large jam pan to blend and finish, I then transfer hot soup to Kilner Jars.I then use the 15 litre pressure cooker to autoclave the filled and sealed Kilner jars. This gives me and the family a convenient supply of soup that lasts for up to a year.

I have just produced 8 litres of pumpkin soup this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly when used with steam only they are perfectly safe, provided you don't boil dry.
More skill is needed if using with stocks and liquids.

Mostly when used with steam only they are perfectly safe, provided you don't boil dry.
More skill is needed if using with stocks and liquids.
Its not so much that I'm worried about safety - more that you can't check how the dish is going whilst it is cooking. So cooking times for certain things have to be accurate. Also, the fact that you can't keep tasting it whilst its cooking means you can't adjust the flavour whilst cooking.

Back
Top Bottom