Problems with my loaves

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
1:01 PM
I'm not much of a baker, but I can usually manage a simple loaf using a packet mix. Until recently, that is. For weeks now, every loaf I make goes floppy on the top, like this:
IMG_0618a.jpg

Previously, they would turn out taut and nicely rounded, like this:
IMG_1997.JPG

It's nothing to do with the mix - I've tried making one from scratch and it still comes out the same, so it must be something I'm doing differently. It's as though I have let it rise too much before baking, but I haven't. Could any of the proper bakers on here offer any advice?

I honestly don't know. The top one looks over cooked but it might just be the light, but that wouldn't account for the dimpled look. Could it be your oven?

@epicuric - did you write on here once that you used a dough machine? could it be that that's causing problems?

If not, I'd agree with @morning glory , perhaps it's the oven that's somehow at fault

Not related to the problem, but I'd also add that I've found 'bread packet mixes' much harder to work with than straightforward flour, salt, sugar & yeast dough. I've had some iffy results from those packets - I don't like them at all.

You could also try not using a loaf tin - use a baking tray instead.

Looks like it fell some. Did you have something covering that maybe stuck a little? Or was there a large temp difference from where you had it proofing, i.e. much colder, and maybe it sat in the cool for a few minutes? Either that or oven wasn't at correct temp. Any problems baking anything else?

pull-apart-kitchenaid-dinner-rols-jpg.jpg

I think I made a pretty good pan of rolls the other day! Since I bought my new stand mixer, I've gotten back into baking bread, cakes & cookies. I baked them in the toaster oven, since the pan easily fits in there. :wink:

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. The top one looks over cooked but it might just be the light, but that wouldn't account for the dimpled look. Could it be your oven?
I'm not much of a baker, but I can usually manage a simple loaf using a packet mix. Until recently, that is. For weeks now, every loaf I make goes floppy on the top, like this:
View attachment 19100
Previously, they would turn out taut and nicely rounded, like this:
View attachment 19101
It's nothing to do with the mix - I've tried making one from scratch and it still comes out the same, so it must be something I'm doing differently. It's as though I have let it rise too much before baking, but I haven't. Could any of the proper bakers on here offer any advice?

You'll have to try to assess what you've done, or retraces your steps to get back the thunder that you've lost so that you'll be making good loaves of bread again. :wink:

The top one is wholemeal, made from scratch. The bottom one is a packet mix pumpkin seed.

@epicuric - did you write on here once that you used a dough machine? could it be that that's causing problems?

If not, I'd agree with @morning glory , perhaps it's the oven that's somehow at fault

Not related to the problem, but I'd also add that I've found 'bread packet mixes' much harder to work with than straightforward flour, salt, sugar & yeast dough. I've had some iffy results from those packets - I don't like them at all.

You could also try not using a loaf tin - use a baking tray instead.

Not the dough machine, that is a constant. I did wonder if the packet mix recipe had changed but I've always found them reliable.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have found the problem - the olive oil. I always put a good glug in with the mix to help with the crust. Over the past few weeks I have been using a different brand of olive oil, but this ran out recently so I had to use rapeseed oil in a loaf this week. Problem solved! The loaf came out perfectly. There must be something about the olive oil I was using as everything else was constant.

A good glug? Lol.

Forgive my impertinence, especially in my inexperience, but shouldn't baking be precise; if not , you can just go along for the journey?

A good glug? Lol.

Forgive my impertinence, especially in my inexperience, but shouldn't baking be precise; if not , you can just go along for the journey?

Baking bread is quite different from baking cakes which has to be precise. Bread is more forgiving.

I'm an on the fly baker...if you don't experiment you don't learn new stuff.

I remember once mom made my gramma's famous molasses cookies and i was so excited cause they are so good. Grabbed one up and took a bite, with my teeth still in the cookie i mumbled "what did you do to these?" They were not gramma's recipe, they had a weird taste. She said she decided to try olive oil instead of canolia...i coldn't eat them. My brother stopped over and did not seem to have the same issue and gobbled them down and was beside himself when she sent the whole batch home with him.

So we learned no olive oil in molasses cookies and my brother has no taste buds worth anything.

Back
Top Bottom