Procook knives?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
11:36 AM
I'm thinking of getting some Procook Elite Forged X70 knives. does anyone know anything about them?

I use procook pans and they are excellent quality. I don't know about their knives though. I checked the website and note they are 'Only £349'.
I wouldn't personally pay that for knives - and I'd ask yourself if you really need and will use all 8 knives.

I'm an experienced home cook and I use only three knives for everything.

I don't want a large block set, of any make, as they tend to have things you don't want. I just want a few basic knives to replace my old battered ones
My main consideration is that they should have well shaped synthetic handles
I'm looking at mid - range quality & price - better than the cheapest, but not as expensive as Global for example

this is what I'm interested in -

They have a set of 3 knives; paring, utility, small chef's, in the X70 range. It is priced at £218 reduced to £99, though who knows what pricing is about now
There is 10% off for your first order, and it qualifies for a free X50 santoku

In round figures that's about £89 for 4 knives

Mostly Procook knives have good reviews, though a couple reckon they're not as good as they appear
Unless I hear anything disastrous about them, I'll probably get them in a couple of days or so

I don't want a large block set, of any make, as they tend to have things you don't want. I just want a few basic knives to replace my old battered ones
My main consideration is that they should have well shaped synthetic handles
I'm looking at mid - range quality & price - better than the cheapest, but not as expensive as Global for example

this is what I'm interested in -

They have a set of 3 knives; paring, utility, small chef's, in the X70 range. It is priced at £218 reduced to £99, though who knows what pricing is about now
There is 10% off for your first order, and it qualifies for a free X50 santoku

In round figures that's about £89 for 4 knives

Mostly Procook knives have good reviews, though a couple reckon they're not as good as they appear
Unless I hear anything disastrous about them, I'll probably get them in a couple of days or so

Oh OK. I misunderstood. That set sounds sensible. But if you are seriously into fish cookery you also need a filleting knife.

The knife I use most (for virtually everything except filleting fish) is this one. I love the flat broad blade which is great for scooping up chopped ingredients. It has a very slight curve on the blade which is perfect for the correct 'rocking' chopping motion.

IMGP1432.jpg

I can pick up a filleting knife as & when

Near me there is Boundary Mill, a large discount department store, which has a good kitchen section. Or I could have a poke around my local TKMaxx. Or I could go to Manchester on my bus pass and call at Nisbets

Right, I've been shopping and there is a change of plan. I think these will be a bit better quality

I went to my local TKMaxx and found a Zwilling Twin Pollux 18cm santoku for £20, compared to a typical rrp of about £60

From www.knivesandtools.co.uk I've ordered a Wusthof Grand Prix 11 set of two knives for £109-50 - a 20cm chef's & a 9cm paring.
Also a Wusthof Grand Prix 11 26cm steel for £28-80

From Amazon a Zelite Infinity 20cm chef's at £49-97. I don't know much about this make, but it looks just right for me, and has excellent reviews; search YouTube.
This is in plain German steel; don't confuse it with a knife of similar name & appearance in Japanese layered steel which is about £110

Among my oddments I have a Kitchen Devils 15cm chef's knife that is in good condition

Plus I do have several older, worn knives. If I find I need something else, l'll get them as as & when, probably something reasonably good from TKMaxx

The problem with this sort of thing is that you can go round and round for ages, but sooner or later you have to settle on something

Last edited:
Right, I've been shopping and there is a change of plan. I think these will be a bit better quality

I went to my local TKMaxx and found a Zwilling Twin Pollux 18cm santoku for £20, compared to a typical rrp of about £60

From www.knivesandtools.co.uk I've ordered a Wusthof Grand Prix 11 set of two knives for £109-50 - a 20cm chef's & a 9cm paring.
Also a Wusthof Grand Prix 11 26cm steel for £28-80

From Amazon a Zelite Infinity 20cm chef's at £49-97. I don't know much about this make, but it looks just right for me, and has excellent reviews; search YouTube.
This is in plain German steel; don't confuse it with a knife of similar name & appearance in Japanese layered steel which is about £110

Among my oddments I have a Kitchen Devils 15cm chef's knife that is in good condition

Plus I do have several older, worn knives. If I find I need something else, l'll get them as as & when, probably something reasonably good from TKMaxx

The problem with this sort of thing is that you can go round and round for ages, but sooner or later you have to settle on something

I look forward to seeing the results of your knife skills with the new knives!

:eek::eek::eek: I assume you get a Michelin star chef to actually do the cooking included ?
One good quality and good steel [not always the same thing] will do 95% of everything. The very best knife we have was found in a charity shop for about a pound. It is a good few years old, is razor sharp [and easy to sharpen] has a fine point and is heavy enough for most chopping jobs. We have never found anything better. Expensive does not always mean best - old steel is good steel.

My decent knives came from Tesco on one of their special offers. I bought a vegetable knife, two "psycho" knives, and a meat cleaver. They are German steel knives and cost between £34-£54 each to buy normally, and that's just for the knives - I hate to think how much the meat cleaver would be. Otherwise, my bread knife, small vegetable peeling knife, standard kitchen knife, paring knife and knife sharpener all came from a Pound shop complete with case and chopping board about 20 years ago. The standard kitchen knife died about 3 years ago - the blade was OK but the thick plastic handle cracked where they were riveted - but the others are still used regularly. Not exactly professional quality but not bad either - they are Prestige knife copies.

Back
Top Bottom