"Pumpkin Spice" this and "Pumpkin Spice" that...

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
10:27 AM
It seems that many U.S. food purveyors have become enamored with flavoring most everything with pumpkin spice seasoning. You have your lattes, your limited-edition filling in sandwich cookies, Cheerio cereal...I even heard an ad for a pizza shop that offers a pumpkin spice pizza! It was a dessert pizza, with spiced cream cheese standing in for the standard tomato sauce, but still...

Then there are all the pumpkin spice non-edibles: hand washing soap, shower gel, underarm deodorant! :eek: Will somebody please end the madness?

Here is a link to a list of just some of the strangeness: https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/pumpkin-spice-latte-products.html

Is this mostly a U.S. thing? I would hate to think that our friends across the Pond are subjected to pumpkin-spice-mania.

Some pumpkin spice flavoured items were launched in the UK a couple of years ago, but I can't think of any actually catching on over here (although I may be wrong). I'm still trying to get my head round caffeine shampoo from Germany! I'll stick to the British quirkeries, thank you :laugh:

I think its definitely making its to way over here. I used to treat myself one Starbucks latte eve:Dy winter - as it was a sign of winter being on the way. I only really used to see such things in said coffee chains. Yesterday morning I noticed it was "drink of the month" in the canteen in work.

So what exactly is Pumpkin Spice? I read somewhere it was like what is sold in the UK as 'mixed spice'. Extract here from Betty Crocker website for making your own:

To start, you’ll need all of three minutes and the following ingredients: 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves. Mix the spices together in a small bowl and take a little whiff. (Smells like heaven, right?) Store the mixture in a clean small jar or spice container. See? So easy
.Here are the ingredients in 'mixed spice' (Schwartz brand):
Ground Cinnamon (Cassia) (40%), Ground Coriander (38%), Caraway, Nutmeg (4%), Ginger, Cloves

Here is the mix suggested by BBC Good Food - Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice ingredients in brown.
1 Tbs ground allspice
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 Tbs ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground mace
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger

Given that Pumpkin Spice mixes and Mixed Spice vary anyway, I think we are talking, near as damn it, about the same thing. Somehow though, I don't think 'mixed spice' cereals or soaps are going to take off here in the UK!

So what exactly is Pumpkin Spice? I read somewhere it was like what is sold in the UK as 'mixed spice'..............Given that Pumpkin Spice mixes and Mixed Spice vary anyway, I think we are talking, near as damn it, about the same thing. Somehow though, I don't think 'mixed spice' cereals or soaps are going to take off here in the UK!
I measure and mix my own blend from the individual spices I have on hand, so it's never the exact same thing each time I make it. I bet none of the pumpkin spice blends for sale include my Mom's secret ingredient for her pumpkin pie, though. I suppose I could tell you what it is, but it's a secret. :wink:

A little grind of fresh pepper. Or a pinch of ground pepper. Not too much!

Some pumpkin spice flavoured items were launched in the UK a couple of years ago, but I can't think of any actually catching on over here (although I may be wrong). I'm still trying to get my head round caffeine shampoo from Germany! I'll stick to the British quirkeries, thank you :laugh:

First time I saw the caffeine shampoo advert, only half paying attention, I honestly thought it was engine oil!

@Lynne Guinne

It really is ridiculous .

Good Morning America had a segment on "pumpkin spice everything." Last week I think. Michael Strahan tickled me. He could not wrap his head around the idea of pumpkin spice deodorant.

Anything to make a $.

Back
Top Bottom