Recipe Purple Aloo Gobi with Tamarind and Dates

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:35 PM
Tamarind and dates are often associated with Middle Eastern cooking but both are also used in Indian recipes. This recipe is based on the well-known Punjabi dish ‘Aloo Gobi’ or potato and cauliflower curry. Here, I’ve used purple potatoes instead of white potatoes, but you could use either. Apart from adding dramatic colour to the dish, I think the earthy taste of purple potato works well with the sweet and sour taste of the dates and tamarind. You can serve this as a side dish or as a main. If I’m serving this as a main course I usually add a poached or fried egg on top.

IMGP1663.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2 as a side dish or 1 as a main)
I medium onion, chopped
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 tbs grated garlic
1 tbs ghee or vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp kalonji (nigella)seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
180g purple potato (I used Albert Bartlett Purple Majesty)
100g cauliflower florets
100g baby plum tomatoes
1 tbs tamarind paste
3 plump medjool dates, finely chopped
3-4 tbs water
1-2 hot green chillies (I used a small green scotch bonnet)
Salt to taste

Method
  • Bake the potato(es) in the oven. Allow to cool and peel off the skin. Baking them whole helps preserve the flavour and colour.
  • Heat the ghee or oil in a frying pan or wok which can be covered with a lid.
  • Add the chopped onion and fry over a medium-low heat until golden but not caramelised
  • Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for a few more minutes.
  • Add the cumin and kalonji seeds and then the turmeric.
  • Add the cauliflower florets and turn them in the pan until they take on a yellow colour.
  • Add the tamarind paste and the dates and stir to combine.
  • Add 3 - 4 tbsp of water and cover the pan.
  • Keep the heat medium low and cook until the cauliflower is just tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and adding a little more water if required.
  • At this point, taste the sauce and add salt as required.
  • Add the tomatoes cut in halves or quarters and the chilli, chopped or cut into slivers. Cook until the tomatoes have softened slightly.
  • Cut the potato into pieces approximately the size of the cauliflower florets and add to the pan to heat through.
IMGP1664.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you buy the purple potatoes? The dish looks very interesting indeed.

I've not tried Ocado. I don't know if they deliver where I am. I'll need to check.

Back
Top Bottom