Recipe Purple carrots

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:10 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Purple carrots, in Italy also well-known as carrots of Polignano a mare (Puglia region – South of Italy).

In addition to Polignano, there is also the purple carrots of Viterbo (Lazio region – Central Italy) dating back to the ancient Etruscan tradition.

Serves 2, Preparation time 5 minutes, Cooking time 15 or 20 minutes
  • 5 purple carrots
  • a handful of chopped parsley
  • a clove of peeled garlic
  • a knob of butter
  • a pinch of salt
  • half glass of water or vegetable broth
  • a pinch of black ground pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

Method

I start with a very useful suggestion: when handling these purple carrots, use plastic or latex gloves because they stain a lot.

Cut the carrots into rounds.

Heat a frying pan and then add a little oil, a knob of butter and the clove of garlic. Then add the rounds of carrots, add a pinch of salt, sprinkle with black ground pepper and add half a glass of water or vegetable broth and some of the chopped parsley.

Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes at medium flame, then remove from the pan the carrots, add a little chopped parsley (or thyme if you have) and serve.

carote viola.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I think I have had these as part of a mixed selection of heritage vegetables. The funny thing is, they taste exactly the same as orange carrots. Nice recipe though. Here they are before and after cooking - I baked them in EVOO and thyme:

IMGP1678.jpg

IMGP1681.jpg

@MypinchofItaly & @morning glory,

Photo Copyright: Francesca Guillamet ..
At: La Mercat de La Boqueria - Barcelona.

I was going to ask you both about the " tasting profile " of the Violet Carrots. My main question was going to be, Do the violet carrots taste like the Orange Carrot ? However, the answer was: " Yes " and mentioned in 1 of posts above ...

I had been very hesitant to purchase a violet cauliflower as I like the White, which I par boil and then bake in the oven with Bechamel and Nutmeg ..

Have either of you, tried Violet Cauliflower ?

I have not seen violet carrots however, I have seen red carrots and I wasn´t sold on the idea .. However, I will ask my Vegetable Farmer about the Italian Violet Carrots and take a look also in El Corte Inglés Hyper Market ..

coliforcoloresmarket20170124_131143_3.jpg

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly & @morning glory,

I was going to ask you both about the " tasting profile " of the Violet Carrots. My main question was going to be, Do the violet carrots taste like the Orange Carrot ? However, the answer was: " Yes " and mentioned in 1 of posts above ...

I had been very hesitant to purchase a violet cauliflower as I like the White, which I par boil and then bake in the oven with Bechamel and Nutmeg ..

Have either of you, tried Violet Cauliflower ?

I have not seen violet carrots however, I have seen red carrots and I wasn´t sold on the idea .. However, I will ask my Vegetable Farmer about the Italian Violet Carrots and take a look also in El Corte Inglés Hyper Market ..

View attachment 9375

I ate the violet cauliflower a few times (it's typical of Sicily), and it is as good and healthy as the white one. You can cook it exactly like white and put it in pasta, risotto, or baked, as salad, boiled ... don't hesitate! buy it! Vegetables and fruits of purple color are rich in anthocyanins.
Anyway I hope you can find purple carrots...I paied for 300 gr. Euros 0,78. They are very cheap.
"El Corte Inglés".....There is a large shopping center in Lisbon called so El Corte Inglés.....

I ate the violet cauliflower a few times (it's typical of Sicily), and it is as good and healthy as the white one. You can cook it exactly like white and put it in pasta, risotto, or baked, as salad, boiled ... don't hesitate! buy it! Vegetables and fruits of purple color are rich in anthocyanins.
Anyway I hope you can find purple carrots...I paied for 300 gr. Euros 0,78. They are very cheap.
"El Corte Inglés".....There is a large shopping center in Lisbon called so El Corte Inglés.....

@MypinchofItaly

Okay, I shall ask tomorrow ..

You can say that I am a little traditional about ingredients and the colors of ingredients.

However, I definitely will check tomorrow for violet carrots and violet cauliflower ..

Thanks Dear ...

Purple cauliflower has proven to be elusive, even at the finest markets in Michigan. I think that they must be holding them back when I look for them, and putting them out for sale when I stop looking for them. I have found orange cauliflower and green cauliflower, but not purple...yet. I really want to make a purple cauliflower soup. Maybe I can make a purple carrot soup?

Purple cauliflower has proven to be elusive, even at the finest markets in Michigan. I think that they must be holding them back when I look for them, and putting them out for sale when I stop looking for them. I have found orange cauliflower and green cauliflower, but not purple...yet. I really want to make a purple cauliflower soup. Maybe I can make a purple carrot soup?

Yep!! And you have just given me the idea for our next meal :thumbsup:

@MypinchofItaly & @The Late Night Gourmet

This is a marvel of an idea. Will be beautiful too ..

If I can get some violet cauliflower. I will do a cream of Violet Cauliflower Soup however, without dairy ..

I substitute a potato to make my creamed soups ..

And to put a tiny flower on the serving bowl ! Truly a very beautful simple soup.

Thank you for the idea ..

I can find green and white.

@morning glory

Peruvian Purple or Violet Potatoes have a different texture and taste profile than a Baking Potato ( a Jack ) or a boiling potato .. Of course there are also types which fry better for fries or " Spicy Spanish Bravas " ..

Then there is a potato in Galicia, northwest Spain called a: Cachela and these Peruvian potatoes which have been growing in Galicia for several centuries have a completely different texture.. They are extremely creamy and of an " ivory - yellow toned off white" ..

They are always served with Braised Octopus on a wooden board in Galicia ..

What interests me is: My Pinch of Italy told us, that the violet carrot is an indigenious Sicilian carrot ..
Violet potatoes are Incan .. And were introduced by Pizzaro in the 1500s in Spain.

However, I had never seen a violet or orchid colored cauliflower until I went into the Market one day. I wonder if it is fashion induced to introduce new produce and / or some type of "faux" coloration.

So, interesting how some vegetables take on different colorations naturally.

My main concern was where did this come from ?

Navarran wild Cardoon is Green, the color of celery but a bit deeper. When I was in Navarre, there is a White Cardoon with magenta red violet .. Amazing looking, coloration like " radicchio " ..

However, there is a taste profile nuance verses a huge difference and texture is a bit different ..

Have a lovely evening .. ( Onions as well .. and bell peppers .. ) A red bell is semi sweet and a Green is a bit Sharp and not sweet ..

Last edited:
Onions as well .. and bell peppers .. ) A red bell is semi sweet and a Green is a bit Sharp and not sweet ..

Maybe I'm wrong but in the case of bell peppers I thought it was just the age of the pepper when picked: they start green then go yellow, then orange, then red. So the riper the bell pepper is, the sweeter it is. I think however there are some varieties of bell peppers which remain a bit stripy green even when ripened to red stage.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but in the case of bell peppers I thought it was just the age of the pepper when picked: they start green then go yellow, then orange, then red. So the riper the bell pepper is, the sweeter it is. I think however there are some varieties of bell peppers which remain a bit stripy green even when ripened to red stage.
I didn't know this, but everything I've just searched for about this confirms what you wrote: green is the youngest stage of bell pepper, followed by orange/yellow, and finally the ripest (and sweetest), being red.

bookBELLPEPSLionel-Wafer.jpg

@morning glory & @The Late Night Gourmet

According to Author Lionel Wafer´s Book: The Voyage and Descritpion of the Isthmus of America:

The big red bells are quite sweet .. The greens are a bit " Sharp " raw .. I like them sautéed ( Green) in a "Sofrito" ( Green bell, red bell, onion, garlic, tomato ) which is the base of an authentic Paella or Noodle Paella, called Fideuà and many other sauces and stews .. Rices as well ..

Bell Peppers:

This 9, 000 year old nightshade vegetable go from Green to Red when fully ripe on exterior or: Green to Gold when fully ripe on exterior .. They are also from different Cultivars and do not contain Cayenne ..

There are only 2 stages ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom