Quails' eggs

Discussion in 'Eggs, Cheese and Dairy' started by morning glory, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Quails' eggs are so pretty. Its almost a shame that you have to remove the shells. But trust me, your guests won't thank you if you ask them to peel their own boiled quail's egg. Luckily there is a great technique for getting the shells of without tears ('tears' meant in both senses of the word). In case you don't know, I will show you how below.

images-275.jpeg

Meanwhile, what do you do with quails' eggs? They make a great appetiser, hard boiled and topped with caviar or crispy bacon crumbs. Or, perhaps mini stuffed eggs? I also like them poached and served on blinis. Or how about Scotch quails' eggs?

Do you eat quails' eggs? If so, how do you like to eat them? Could they be served in a main course, I wonder?

Here is how to peel quails' eggs easily:
    1. For hard boiled, boil for 2 mins. For soft boiled, 1 minute.
    2. Drain off the water and put the quails' eggs in a small container (I used a coffee mug).
    3. Cover with vinegar (any cheap vinegar) and leave for ten minutes. The shells will partially dissolve (forming slight bubbles).
    4. Drain and peel!

The eggs in the mug covered in vinegar - you can see the little bubbles:

20180111_152019.jpg

Drained of vinegar - notice how the pretty brown mottling has almost dissolved (the top 3 are unpeeled)

20180111_152454.jpg

Voila! Ten speedily peeled quails' eggs (there were twelve but I ate two).

20180111_153046.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

I've never had them. I've seen them put raw on top of dishes, but never considered them for hard boiling.

ElizabethB likes this.
  3. morning glory

Can't you get them where you are? They are very delicious - creamier tasting than hens' eggs. They are good pickled too - see here, pickled with turmeric:
    Pickled Quail's Eggs with Tomato and Chilli Jellies and Caperberries

ElizabethB likes this.
  4. Kake Lover

Kake Lover Senior Member Staff Member

I've never had quails eggs, either. I'll keep a look out for them, I think.

ElizabethB likes this.
  5. morning glory

Waitrose sell them, usually.

ElizabethB likes this.
  6. Kake Lover

Kake Lover Senior Member Staff Member

We don't have a local Waitrose, unfortunately. Nearest one is a 30 minute drive down the motorway.

ElizabethB likes this.
  7. morning glory

:ohmy:

ElizabethB and Kake Lover like this.
  8. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

There was a trend amongst 'celebrity' chefs a few years ago for making Scotch quail eggs. The trick was to keep the yolk runny. I suspect these would be delicious, but way beyond my abilities.

ElizabethB likes this.
  9. morning glory

Might be easier than you think - that is, if you can make a Scotch eggs in the first place. I may try...

ElizabethB likes this.
  10. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

ElizabethB likes this.
  11. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Senior Member

I remember seeing fresh quail eggs at the Farmer's Market. Pickled Quail Eggs are very popular in the south. Many local markets have a section for locally produced items - jams, jellies, preserves, honey and pickled quail eggs. Back when there were lots of small neighborhood bars a gallon jar of pickled quail eggs would be behind the bar - free for the asking.

I think @The Late Night Gourmet may have made Scotch Eggs with quail eggs.

12. morning glory

That is most interesting and not something I would ever have thought. As it happens I pickled some the other day so I expect I'll put them into a photo soon.

ElizabethB likes this.