Quails' eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:06 PM
Quails' eggs are so pretty. Its almost a shame that you have to remove the shells. But trust me, your guests won't thank you if you ask them to peel their own boiled quail's egg. Luckily there is a great technique for getting the shells of without tears ('tears' meant in both senses of the word). In case you don't know, I will show you how below.

images-275.jpeg

Meanwhile, what do you do with quails' eggs? They make a great appetiser, hard boiled and topped with caviar or crispy bacon crumbs. Or, perhaps mini stuffed eggs? I also like them poached and served on blinis. Or how about Scotch quails' eggs?

Do you eat quails' eggs? If so, how do you like to eat them? Could they be served in a main course, I wonder?

Here is how to peel quails' eggs easily:
  1. For hard boiled, boil for 2 mins. For soft boiled, 1 minute.
  2. Drain off the water and put the quails' eggs in a small container (I used a coffee mug).
  3. Cover with vinegar (any cheap vinegar) and leave for ten minutes. The shells will partially dissolve (forming slight bubbles).
  4. Drain and peel!

The eggs in the mug covered in vinegar - you can see the little bubbles:

20180111_152019.jpg

Drained of vinegar - notice how the pretty brown mottling has almost dissolved (the top 3 are unpeeled)

20180111_152454.jpg

Voila! Ten speedily peeled quails' eggs (there were twelve but I ate two).

20180111_153046.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had them. I've seen them put raw on top of dishes, but never considered them for hard boiling.

There was a trend amongst 'celebrity' chefs a few years ago for making Scotch quail eggs. The trick was to keep the yolk runny. I suspect these would be delicious, but way beyond my abilities.

There was a trend amongst 'celebrity' chefs a few years ago for making Scotch quail eggs. The trick was to keep the yolk runny. I suspect these would be delicious, but way beyond my abilities.

Might be easier than you think - that is, if you can make a Scotch eggs in the first place. I may try...

I remember seeing fresh quail eggs at the Farmer's Market. Pickled Quail Eggs are very popular in the south. Many local markets have a section for locally produced items - jams, jellies, preserves, honey and pickled quail eggs. Back when there were lots of small neighborhood bars a gallon jar of pickled quail eggs would be behind the bar - free for the asking.

I think @The Late Night Gourmet may have made Scotch Eggs with quail eggs.

Quail's eggs are very popular over here. They're sold in all the supermarkets, both peeled and fresh. I've no idea whatsoever why they are so popular, but they're often served as a cocktail snack, with a Marie Rose sauce or as a filling for arepas. They're great in a curry. They're great fried as well; very delicate. A friend of mine served them on top of Bubble & Squeak for a British Embassy Brunch.

Quail's eggs are very popular over here. They're sold in all the supermarkets, both peeled and fresh. I've no idea whatsoever why they are so popular, but they're often served as a cocktail snack, with a Marie Rose sauce or as a filling for arepas. They're great in a curry. They're great fried as well; very delicate. A friend of mine served them on top of Bubble & Squeak for a British Embassy Brunch.

Love all those ideas. And you got me wondering why quail's eggs should be so popular in Venezuala...

Back
Top Bottom