Recipe Quatre Quart Canelle Chocolat

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
3:06 AM
I used ‘ordinary’ dark chocolate chips in an earlier version of this and it was fine – instant chocolate sensation against a cinnamon background. In a different QQ variant, I experimented with ‘very melty’ chocolate chunks (known as maxi fondant in France). It provided a quite different outcome – the chocolate was really just a hint but it was widespread – and it was very much a ‘back of the mouth’ delayed taste. Two different cake flavourings … ‘immediate’ and ‘delayed’ chocolate. I put the two together in this recipe and don’t regret it for a second, but perhaps you really need to be a chocoholic to fully appreciate it.

You need:

250g self-raising flour
175g unrefined brown cane sugar (cassonade)
150g butter (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (canelle)
1 dessertspoon of chocolate chips (pépites de chocolat noir)
1 dessertspoon of chocolate chunks (Maxi fondant pépites de chocolat)
100g of plump raisins (raisins moelleux)
3 eggs
4 tablespoons of milk

1kg loaf tin (27.5cm x 15cm x 7.5cm deep), greased and lined with a strip of baking parchment

Method:

Mix the flour, sugar and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter in chunks and then make fine ‘breadcrumbs’. When done, add the chocolate chips and chunks and raisins to the mix.

Break the eggs into a small bowl and take out any pieces of shell. Beat the eggs well and then add the milk. Put the egg/milk mixture into the mixing bowl. Stir vigorously until it has a smooth consistency (it may be necessary to add a little bit more milk to get the consistency right).

Pre-heat the oven to 160C

Put the mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hour. Check if it’s done by inserting a sharp knife (or skewer). If the knife comes out clean, then the cake is ready.

upload_2018-7-18_12-40-16.png

This sounds like a great idea. I assume it behaved the way you expected (with the softer chocolate melting and spreading throughout).

Yes, that's right. The packet of chunks contains three different types of chocolate - white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate - so there are some subtle variations in the background chocolaty flavour too. With the additional 'instant' chocolate and the plump raisins, underpinned by the flavour of cinnamon, I find that it works very well. It did take a while to get there though.

Back
Top Bottom