Question re halogen air fryers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:57 PM
I'be finally succumbed to the temptation of buying a halogen air fryer. I've been so impressed by @Yorky 's success with his (see here) so I've been considering it for a long time. The model I ordered is pictured below at an amazing bargain price of £19.99 (approx $25)

My biggest issue is space as they are large and I have limited counter space. So my question is this: I have a counter top 'toaster oven' which I use for things like grilling bacon or sausages, making cheese on toast, charring peppers before skinning them. Will I be able to get rid of the toaster oven and use the air fryer instead for these things? That way I can create the space.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 15.50.53.png

I don't have a toaster oven and manage. I do have a bread toaster though.

I cannot see why you should not be able to cook the things that you mention in the halogen (and probably much quicker).

It will not cook anything battered, e.g. fish, chicken, pakoras, and my attempt at cooking "oven chips" was not very successful. I have cooked gammon steaks in the halogen but prefer to pan fry. I always pan fry beef steak. I have not tried re-heating dishes like chilli and curry, mainly because I like to give them frequent attention.

Good luck with it.

I don't have a toaster oven and manage. I do have a bread toaster though.

I cannot see why you should not be able to cook the things that you mention in the halogen (and probably much quicker).

It will not cook anything battered, e.g. fish, chicken, pakoras, and my attempt at cooking "oven chips" was not very successful. I have cooked gammon steaks in the halogen but prefer to pan fry. I always pan fry beef steak. I have not tried re-heating dishes like chilli and curry, mainly because I like to give them frequent attention.

Good luck with it.

I think it will do everything I do in 'toaster oven' - I don't do battered things in that. I have a separate toaster for simple toast. But will it really 'char' things?

It will, but not beef steak (not to my liking anyway). The inside will be overcooked.

I was thinking more of vegetables or pork (as above).

For steak, I'd flash cook in a cast iron pan and like you,I'd use a flame torch to get the char.

51f184eb-3378-4cb0-893f-8cdec76477b9-jpeg.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results of my Air Fryer Egg. But, I keep my air fryer in a closet until I need to use it, since it is also rather bulky. On the other hand, I might start using it more often if I can get myself out of the habit of using my toaster oven all the time.

Do you get a Cornish pasty handler with it? It works for stuffed jacket potatoes and meat pies also.

removing jacket s.jpg

I don't know - I get the halogen cooker on Tuesday.

I'm sure that one will be included. It's mainly for taking the very hot racks out because it's virtually impossible to remove them otherwise. The edge of the racks are very close to the glass sidewall allowing minimal room to access them with anything else.

The black aluminium tray I use came with the LG microwave. The handler deals with the removal of this and also surprisingly my cast iron serving platter (they are both the same size).

[Oh, and it was perfect for recovering the "Yorkshire pudding ramekins"].

[It will even pick up a full Pyrex round casserole although you will need to exert quite a bit of force].

Last edited:
I'be finally succumbed to the temptation of buying a halogen air fryer. I've been so impressed by @Yorky 's success with his (see here) so I've been considering it for a long time. The model I ordered is pictured below at an amazing bargain price of £19.99 (approx $25)

My biggest issue is space as they are large and I have limited counter space. So my question is this: I have a counter top 'toaster oven' which I use for things like grilling bacon or sausages, making cheese on toast, charring peppers before skinning them. Will I be able to get rid of the toaster oven and use the air fryer instead for these things? That way I can create the space.

View attachment 20755
I use my toaster oven for just about EVERYTHING!! I use it for roasting, baking, searing & small casseroles. It's just a marvel in the kitchen!!

I want to try air frying in it with a potato but into French fries to see what else it can do!! :wink:

Have you tried slow cooking it, then bring it up to charring temp when it is almost done? I did that once, & it came out superb!! :wink:

Not beef steak, no. It would be overcooked for my liking. I prefer my beef like this:

cut s adj.jpg

Not beef steak, no. It would be overcooked for my liking. I prefer my beef like this:

View attachment 21073

A little more done for me. I cooked steak straight in my toaster after tenderizing it with one of those piercing tenderizers, marinated it in KC'S Masterpiece marinade for 30 minutes in the fridge, put it in the oven for about 20 minutes, temped it to about 145 degrees and it was superb!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom