(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:43 AM
002.jpg
Quick n' Easy Mac & Cheese
Ingredients;

1-lb elbow macaroni.
2 cups cubed Velveeta cheese.
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (reserving about 1/4 cup of it).
1/2 stick of butter.
1 cup milk (I use 1% milk).
1/4 teaspoon each;
Garlic powder.​
Ground black pepper.​
Sylvia's Seasoning.​
Sugar.​

Instructions;

Preheat oven to about 375 degrees.

In 5-qt Dutch Oven, bring 3 qts of water to a rolling boil. Add a little oil to keep pasta from sticking together.

Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in a 3-qt pot and place over low heat. Stir until cheese & milk are blended together, butter has melted, and has thickened a little. Remove from heat.

Add macaroni product to boiling water and cook until aldente. Drain pasta in colander. Do not rinse.

Return pasta to same pot. Add hot cheese sauce and fold in until thoroughly incorporated.

Place mac & cheese mixture into a casserole dish or pan sprayed with a cooking spray.
Sprinkle reserved cheddar cheese on top of mixture.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes, or until top of casserole is lightly brown & sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven. Let stand for about 5 minutes.

Serves about 5 - 8. Enjoy! :wink:

CAUTION;

Do NOT add any salt to the sauce! The Velveeta cheese has enough salt in it to the point that you do not need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
Yes it is.
Note that there are no eggs in this recipe. I found out that the eggs do nothing except curdle the sauce. So I don't use them in mac & cheese any more.

Thanks!
Yes it is.
Note that there are no eggs in this recipe. I found out that the eggs do nothing except curdle the sauce. So I don't use them in mac & cheese any more.

Macaroni Pie as we call it here is one of my better dishes. I also do not include eggs. Have heard of others who use it but it has never been an option for me. I noticed you used sugar in your recipe. I do not. Other than that, my approach is similar except that I add onion, use different cheese and also exclude butter.

Macaroni Pie as we call it here is one of my better dishes. I also do not include eggs. Have heard of others who use it but it has never been an option for me. I noticed you used sugar in your recipe. I do not. Other than that, my approach is similar except that I add onion, use different cheese and also exclude butter.

The sugar is not much. Not enough to make it sweet tasting. Just enough to offset the saltiness in the Velveeta cheese. It is very salty. That is why I caution those that might want to try it, not to use any additional salt. :wink: :stop:

The sugar is not much. Not enough to make it sweet tasting. Just enough to offset the saltiness in the Velveeta cheese. It is very salty. That is why I caution those that might want to try it, not to use any additional salt. :wink: :stop:

I get it. The cheese is a bit salty. I don't use Velveeta, I mostly use Vegetarian Cheddar cheese. I have developed quite a reputation for being able to produce a great macaroni pie. My mom also has that reputation but we take a different approach. She adds a lot more things than I do and her finish because she adds ketchup is more colorful. I don't like to too much color. I am concern with the texture and taste. I also top mine with bread crumb mixed with cheese.

I have never heard of putting egg into macaroni and cheese, must be a regional thing. The recipe looks good, but would that amount of velveta cheese be overwhelming? Velveta has a very rich taste too it and a little goes a long way.

I have never heard of putting egg into macaroni and cheese, must be a regional thing. The recipe looks good, but would that amount of velveta cheese be overwhelming? Velveeta has a very rich taste too it and a little goes a long way.

You can probably adjust it to your like. :wink:

I made mac and cheese last night and added an egg, some times I do and some times I don't. I would have liked to have had more cheese to add to the sauce. When I make mac and cheese that does not get eaten up I scramble some ground turkey up or chopped sauage into the mac and cheese so that the kids will eat what is left.

I am very sensitive to the taste of Velvet so I would probably have to take away some of the cheese and add more cream. Have you ever made mac and cheese with gruyere cheese? That is also good.

I am very sensitive to the taste of Velvet so I would probably have to take away some of the cheese and add more cream. Have you ever made mac and cheese with gruyere cheese? That is also good.

Can't say that I have.
I've mainly used sharp cheddar in the beginning. Always loved it! That is why I don't just use Velveeta, as I've done in the past. I've gone back to using cheddar cheese on the last 5 or 6 makings of mac & cheese. :wink:

Lots of ingredients that are not available main stream in the UK ,but most cooks can adjust as we know ,Sylvia's is available mail order ,but always makes me grin when I see cheddar cheese State side,as I live 60 miles from Cheddar
:thumbsup:

You can substitute Sylvia's with dried herbs, such as thyme, basil oregano, sage, marjoram, parsley and other dried herbs. :wink:

Last edited:
You can substitute Sylvia's with dried herbs, such as thyme, basil oregano, sage marjoram, parsley and other dried herbs. :wink:
It's the rich diversity of cultures we gave on the forum ,we all use different ingredients,I must admit to putting orders in a few years ago to get some of Americas finest ingredients from Mildenhall a American air base in the UK and visits were a true treat,dealing in dollars and drinking soda
And some times descriptions are lost in translation ,I did speak culinary french a lot when I was starting out and still break into french with some dishes...:okay:

Back
Top Bottom