"Quicker Chicken Stock" from Cook's Country

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
9:21 PM
For many years, I've been making home made chicken stock in my electric pressure cooker, which took only about an hour or so and produced really nice results. I've also been experimenting with trying to pair down the ingredients to just the necessities, since I hated wasting so many other vegetables and herbs just to make a batch of stock.

Recently my pressure cooker died on me, after a solid 7 years of use. So in the meantime I've been trying out some stove top recipes again. This one from Cook's Country worked out great and produced a surprisingly flavorful broth with just a few amount of ingredients in a minimal amount of time.

I believe the original recipe called for using drumsticks, but I really don't care for them in a broth since they have so much blood in them and make the stock have a murky, iron-y taste to it. Chicken breasts are expensive, so instead I used bone in, skin on chicken thighs.

The recipe calls to cut the chicken up into two inch pieces with a meat cleaver, which I did. Then you simply brown the meat in your pot on all sides, for about 10 minutes. Then toss in some roughly chopped and peeled onion and let that cook with the chicken until everything sweats out plenty of juices, for another 10 minutes - I did this covered so the liquids didn't all evaporate off too soon. Then you just add in about a quart or two of water, and about a teaspoon of salt and a bay leaf per quart of water, and let it all come to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer for another 20 min or so and strain.

What really surprised me was that how much flavor the initial browning of the chicken and sweating of the onions and chicken, before adding any water, really drew a lot of extra flavor out of them and created a really meaty, albeit quick, stock.

This does sound really good. I am going to have to give it a try. I am glad you were able to find a stove top method that worked for you. Will you be getting a new pressure cooker?

I think I will stick to the store bought chicken broth, as making it at home sounds like a lot of work. You can get the reduced sodium version in a carton which is extremely convenient. I don't really cook chicken all that often. I should make it more. I think that many people might like to benefit from the homemade broth recipe though.

I like to make homemade chicken brother with chicken bones I've kept from chicken breasts I debone. I find it cheaper to buy bone in chicken breasts and when I want a dish that requires chicken breasts meat I debone the breast and freeze the bone. When I have enough then I make stock. I like to add celery, carrots, ginger, garlic, onions to my stock which I cook on the stove for 3-4 hours. When I cook it this long I get great flavour and all the goodness out of the bones and vegetables. My kids love my homemade stock and can always tell the difference between store bought and home made stock.

I've made soup, but have never specifically made broth. I love chicken thighs, and like the idea of making the broth from them, since as you mentioned, chicken breasts are very expensive. Plus, chicken thighs have a delicious taste that I sometimes prefer over breasts. I've never owned a pressure cooker, but have considered buying one. Is there anything I'd need to look for in particular? I like that this can be made on the stove top, and seems like an easy recipe, I love Cook's Country.

@OhioTom76 I am mourning the death of your pressure cooker! I have a couple of Fagors and have replaced a few parts, but it seems like they will last forever. I hope you are able to replace yours with a good one. One of those instant pots might be a good choice. They look nice and I would sure buy one if I needed a new pressure cooker.

I also find that anything browned before cooking in liquid increase the yumminess! That is one of my soup secrets! Shh...don't tell!! I always saute my onions, garlic, and root veggies before I add the liquid to soup.

I wouldn't dream of using good, edible chicken to make broth! Yikes!! I just save up all our bones and scraps. I have even been known to have my friends save theirs for me. :D Especially if the meat or poultry has been smoked - OMG - that makes the BEST broth ever! I befriended the butcher and get bones from him too. :okay: Carrot, onion, etc. parts you cut off but are clean can be used. I just use whatever I have on hand, then add lots of garlic, salt, herbs, and a shot of raw apple cider vinegar to pull the minerals out of the bones. Then pressure cook while for at least 30 min. or until I get tired of the sound of it!

I've made soup, but have never specifically made broth. I love chicken thighs, and like the idea of making the broth from them, since as you mentioned, chicken breasts are very expensive. Plus, chicken thighs have a delicious taste that I sometimes prefer over breasts. I've never owned a pressure cooker, but have considered buying one. Is there anything I'd need to look for in particular? I like that this can be made on the stove top, and seems like an easy recipe, I love Cook's Country.
I noticed you made a distinction between 'soup' and 'broth' in your post. To me they mean the same thing. Perhaps this is an example of American English confusion. Do you mean chicken stock, when you say 'broth'?

@OhioTom76 I am mourning the death of your pressure cooker! I have a couple of Fagors and have replaced a few parts, but it seems like they will last forever. I hope you are able to replace yours with a good one. One of those instant pots might be a good choice. They look nice and I would sure buy one if I needed a new pressure cooker.

I also find that anything browned before cooking in liquid increase the yumminess! That is one of my soup secrets! Shh...don't tell!! I always saute my onions, garlic, and root veggies before I add the liquid to soup.

I wouldn't dream of using good, edible chicken to make broth! Yikes!! I just save up all our bones and scraps. I have even been known to have my friends save theirs for me. :D Especially if the meat or poultry has been smoked - OMG - that makes the BEST broth ever! I befriended the butcher and get bones from him too. :okay: Carrot, onion, etc. parts you cut off but are clean can be used. I just use whatever I have on hand, then add lots of garlic, salt, herbs, and a shot of raw apple cider vinegar to pull the minerals out of the bones. Then pressure cook while for at least 30 min. or until I get tired of the sound of it!

Its interesting this, because both you & @OhioTom76 cook the chicken for stock for a long time. My knowledge (and I can't remember where I got this from) says that you should only cook chicken for stock a short time. I've always made chicken stock quite simply by boiling up and then simmering the chicken carcasses (not edible bits!) in water with herbs, garlic/onion, peppercorns added for about half an hour. Cooking for an hour in a pressure cooker is equivalent to 2-3 hrs simmering, which seems a lot to me. I'm going to have to do a bit of research into this!

Traditional broth is simmered for hours or even days. I figure the longer it simmers, the more nutrients and flavor are pulled out of the bones. If I have a lot of bones I reuse them for a second batch with fresh veggies and spices. It comes out a little more watery than than first batch so I mix the two batches together before using, canning, or freezing.

I have also noticed that letting the onions and peppers simmer along with the chicken will give the broth more flavor. I recently made some spiced chicken where I let all of the veggies and meat simmer together slower and the taste was great.

Traditional broth is simmered for hours or even days. I figure the longer it simmers, the more nutrients and flavor are pulled out of the bones. If I have a lot of bones I reuse them for a second batch with fresh veggies and spices. It comes out a little more watery than than first batch so I mix the two batches together before using, canning, or freezing.
I stand corrected. I have obviously been under-cooking my chicken stock for years! Having checked various reputable website and Chef's recipes it seems you are supposed to cook the bones for several hours. Next time.... :D

Making stock is a science , understanding why and when you do each stage, a quick stock though may be tasty may be murky and not clear , chicken stock I will poach the bones first as you would roast veal and beef bones

I make my chicken stock in a pressure cooker. Usually, I use chicken wings, necks and skin to make stock. After, cooking for an hour the stock is ready. Sometimes I strain the stock and through chicken wings, necks and skin. However, sometimes when I am in a mood to try something different, I fry the remains of the stock and prepare ready to eat snacks.

Back
Top Bottom