Quoting

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:51 AM
Would like some advice on how to do quotes in reply to messages. I have no problem with the straightforward reply to a post - click quote and then reply, and when the message is posted, the quoted section appears in a light brown box.

But I have two questions:
  1. How do you quote from an external source (I'm talking about the quotes appearing in the light brown box)? I know you can do this because I've see it done!
  2. How do you do quotes in private messages. There doesn't seem to be a quote option.

Would like some advice on how to do quotes in reply to messages. I have no problem with the straightforward reply to a post - click quote and then reply, and when the message is posted, the quoted section appears in a light brown box.

1. How do you quote from an external source (I'm talking about the quotes appearing in the light brown box)? I know you can do this because I've see it done!
  2. How do you do quotes in private messages. There doesn't seem to be a quote option.
There are a couple of ways of doing it, and by far the easiest is to use the button that is programmed to insert it for you automatically.
The third button to the right of the one that inserts the smilie gives you a choice of options, select quote (spoiler inserts a button called spoiler where you can hide your entry under a button called spoiler or whatever the putrefaction puts a title in as, hides it until they click on it.)

The alterative is to manually enter the quote codes typing them in.
So,
Code:
[QUOTE] Enter what you want here. [/QUOTE]
Would give this
Enter what you want here.

The other way of replying is to highlight the words or phrase you want to reply to can be just a few words or the entire thing and you should get a little black box come up with the word reply, click on that and you reply with just those highlighted words.

I'll write up a proper help this afternoon that had pictures and circles in it and link it to here for you.

I have written up a guide.

I may yet break the segments down, or at least pull the quoting an external source into a separate reply, but it can all be found here
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/full-or-partial-quote-quote-and-quoting-external-sources.5144/
All being pretty much everything to do with quoting...

And in answer to a PM, I would use the select the text option and the pop up should arrive.... But I will do some experiments and see why it is not there.

I don't think you can actually quote a PM, as its supposed to be between those involved. Hence only the reply function there. The only way would be to manually quote it.

I don't think you can actually quote a PM, as its supposed to be between those involved. Hence only the reply function there. The only way would be to manually quote it.
Oh! I wouldn't dream of quoting a PM on the forum, if that's what you mean. If I click on reply on a PM, it quotes the post from the person I'm replying to (in the PM). Do you mean that the 'quote ' function somehow enables others to see the reply?

What I was trying to understand I was how to reply (in PM mode) to different bits of another person's post. I now know how to do this due to the 'highlighting the text and choosing quote'.:happy:

What I'm still not understanding is the difference between 'reply' and 'quote' on the Forum. Both seem to produce the same result (the other person's text in quotes at the top of your reply).
What's the difference between reply and quote?
Oh dear! Somehow, this seems to be one of those issues which sounds impossibly complicated when written in a post :eek:.

The "quote" function allows you to go a number of threads and pick out the quotes, like this
Baking powder and water on the inside. Washing up liquid, used with a tooth brush on the door seals.

Mortar & Pestle used to grind the leaves down. Sprinkle over/into whatever you want then.

I've eaten them raw, something my farming relatives would never do.

Something like this? Click & Convert

Reply would only be on the same page/thread only. Its also the older of the two

In-text quoting - no need to quote entire post, simply highlight the text of another post and click reply - demo here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5xwJsIx8JZg

You can now quote multiple posts using the new +Quote feature.

Simply click +Quote on all of the posts you want to quote (from any page, thread or forum) and when you're ready to write your reply clickInsert Quotes ... underneath the reply box at the bottom of the page.

You'll get a pop-up that allows you to remove quotes or change the order of them - once done, click Quote These Messages to insert them into the reply box.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/new-feature-multi-quote.1486/

Last edited:
Oh! I wouldn't dream of quoting a PM on the forum, if that's what you mean. If I click on reply on a PM, it quotes the post from the person I'm replying to (in the PM). Do you mean that the 'quote ' function somehow enables others to see the reply?

What I was trying to understand I was how to reply (in PM mode) to different bits of another person's post. I now know how to do this due to the 'highlighting the text and choosing quote".:eek:.
Reply more than once to the same post. Deleting the parts that don't apply for each piece you want to answer.

OK. i see what you mean. But seems easier to hi-light text and choose quote option.
Especially as a lot of people delete too much of the post and it then sites not work properly as a reply/quote because they have deleted some of the code. Third is where you see that they have replied inside the quote. Assuming you see it because all the mods have free reign of all of Shaun's sites to correct it, which we rather frequently do!

The sole difference between quote and reply is that reply is quoting everything. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom