Raw Milk

Could use fresh cows milk in tea, but never drink it on it's own, or use it on cereals.

Did you ever get left with turning the handle on the churn?
Crank? This was MawMaw's churn.

il_fullxfull.425203304_amf8.jpg

Hard work.

I found this the other day. My Aunty Kit and Uncle Oswald when they received cup for the best dairy herd on their farm at Furneux Pelham (Hertfordshire, UK) in the late 1950s. They were the same aunt and uncle who had a farm in Hampshire and put me in with the calves when I was homesick (it was the first time I'd been anywhere without my parents - I was 3). Couldn't get fresher milk than that; the same when I was in Greece - the cow there had its own room in the house I stayed in!

26992190_10160166034075500_7048328759390761080_n.jpg

My paternal grandparents had cattle. Papa Paul died a few months before Mom and Dad married. Dad kept up with the cattle until after Mama Paul died and the property was sub-divided. I loved going with Dad to milk the cows. All of the barn cats would line up. Dad would give them each a squirt of milk direct from the cow's teat. I would get in line with the cats for my squirt. His aim was spot on. Not a drop wasted.

My paternal grandparents had cattle. Papa Paul died a few months before Mom and Dad married. Dad kept up with the cattle until after Mama Paul died and the property was sub-divided. I loved going with Dad to milk the cows. All of the barn cats would line up. Dad would give them each a squirt of milk direct from the cow's teat. I would get in line with the cats for my squirt. His aim was spot on. Not a drop wasted.

That conjures up quite an image!

That conjures up quite an image!
I really wish I had more than a mental picture. Mom made my clothes. I remember wearing a red gingham checked dress with puffed sleeves and a white "Peter Pan" collar. It had a band that tied in the back. Mom fussed because the tie had come un-done and dragged in the barn mess. :ohmy: I have gotten sappy in my senior years.

For years I was a technician in a dairy

Having seen the microbial load on unpasteurised milk, and the muck & rubbish that collects in the filters & centrifuges I can tell you that I have no intention of drinking untreated milk

For years I was a technician in a dairy

Having seen the microbial load on unpasteurised milk, and the muck & rubbish that collects in the filters & centrifuges I can tell you that I have no intention of drinking untreated milk
I haven't had unpasteurised milk for ages, and I think the last time we got some we scalded it before use. The farm milk I buy has been pasteurised, but is not homogenised. I can't tolerate homogenised milk.

Back
Top Bottom