Re-heating of Pork Pies

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:09 AM
For the past 50 odd years either I or my mum have generally re-heated pork pies prior to serving. The exception would be if eaten with a salad or on a picnic.

Such a practice appears to be frowned upon by many (particularly outside Yorkshire) because of health hazards.

Is re-heating pork pies acceptable in your opinion or experience?

This evening's growler:

pork pie 1 s.jpg

I don't see any reason why not as long as it is re-heated to a safe temperature, 76 deg C at the core. I've only ever eaten them cold, but now I am intrigued! We have a couple of pork pie makers locally who sell at farmer's markets. I shall ask their views next time I see them.

In the sixties in Leeds it was one of my jobs during the school holidays to collect and deliver pork pies (on a Tuesday I think) to my mum's place of work. There was about 20 in the order and the baker would always give me one for free. It was still hot and I made an awful mess of eating it with the liquid "jelly" running down my vest. On Fridays I collected and delivered similar portions of fish and chips. I think I received a free bag of chips and some scraps from them.

My mum worked in a Jewish tailors' factory.

Its interesting - my friend who I'm staying with at the moment says he practically lived on heated pork pies as a kid. His Mum was a terrible cook so it was a regular tea (dinner). She came from the North-East. I've not heard of anyone else doing it.

Of course they are safe to heat - as safe as heating any pre-cooked pie or pasty (as @epicuric says). Whether or not they taste better heated is another matter!

Its interesting - my friend who I'm staying with at the moment says he practically lived on heated pork pies as a kid. His Mum was a terrible cook so it was a regular tea (dinner). She came from the North-East. I've not heard of anyone else doing it.

I was buying a pork pie for my lunch in a bakery in Grimsby (Lincolnshire). The assistant was aghast when I asked her to heat it in the oven (c. 1982).

Of course they are safe to heat - as safe as heating any pre-cooked pie or pasty (as @epicuric says). Whether or not they taste better heated is another matter!

As a component of a ploughman's lunch (for example) they would be unpalatable hot or warm but with mushy peas?

I was buying a pork pie for my lunch in a bakery in Grimsby (Lincolnshire). The assistant was aghast when I asked her to heat it in the oven (c. 1982).

Maybe the assistant didn't want you to use their oven, expecting you to take it home and heat it there?

Here's what I've observed regarding reheating things:
  • Some are concerned about thawing meats from the freezer, then refreezing them. This is only a health issue if you thaw the meat at room temperature, since you're exposing the exterior to bacteria. But, thawing in the refrigerator then refreezing doesn't do any harm.
  • There's a big difference between reheating in the microwave and reheating in an oven or toaster oven. One time-saving compromise is to partly heat in the microwave so the interior gets heated, then heat the rest of the way in the oven so the exterior crisps up. I continue to be amazed at how often my kids microwave slices of pizza.

1 - ideally the pork pie should still be warm from its baking [perfection and only worth while for the genuine article - not the supermarket copies] If the jelly is very runny a bib might be in order.
2 - Eat cold with a little pickle [pickled onions are permitted] a little granary bread - cheese [of your choice] and beer [definitely beer]
3 - Hot with mushy peas and [a matter of choice] some finely chopped onion [although this dish is acceptable with a cold pie too] - Note they must be true mushy peas - bright green and bad for you :D
We have discovered our local pork butcher's pie recently - they never survive long enough to get cold.:hungry:

1 - ideally the pork pie should still be warm from its baking [perfection and only worth while for the genuine article - not the supermarket copies] If the jelly is very runny a bib might be in order.
2 - Eat cold with a little pickle [pickled onions are permitted] a little granary bread - cheese [of your choice] and beer [definitely beer]
3 - Hot with mushy peas and [a matter of choice] some finely chopped onion [although this dish is acceptable with a cold pie too] - Note they must be true mushy peas - bright green and bad for you :D
We have discovered our local pork butcher's pie recently - they never survive long enough to get cold.:hungry:
This is so unfair. It's not yet breakfast time and I am salivating over Option 1. I fear my day will be ruined unless I can track down such a delicacy!

Back
Top Bottom