Recipe/food translations and pronunciation

Linguistically, a child learns to verbalise between the age of 18 months and 2 1/2 To 3 years of age.

The linguistic abilities are flexible up until the age of 7, when they begin to become more inflexible to produce clear concise speech, pronounce and intone in the 2nd language.

Henceforth, the intonation and pronounciation become more and more " fixed " after the age of of seven ( Proven facts ).

This is why Learning a foreign language after the age of 7, becomes more and more difficult ..

The % of polyglots is 1 out of 1 Million .

The best time to learn languages is while you are very Young ..

According to the European Unión level testing formats: 1 Year for elementary or basic level ( A level ).

One year for upper elementary level ( A 2 ) ..

Thus, if continued, to reach an upper intermediate level ( B2.1 or B2.2 ), takes approx. 5 years of consistent studies of that language ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
Linguistically, a child learns to verbalise between the age of 18 months and 2 1/2 To 3 years of age.

The linguistic abilities are flexible up until the age of 7, when they begin to become more inflexible to produce clear concise speech, pronounce and intone in the 2nd language.

Henceforth, the intonation and pronounciation become more and more " fixed " after the age of of seven ( Proven facts ).

This is why Learning a foreign language after the age of 7, becomes more and more difficult ..

The % of polyglots is 1 out of 1 Million .

The best time to learn languages is while you are very Young ..

According to the European Unión level testing formats: 1 Year for elementary or basic level ( A level ).

One year for upper elementary level ( A 2 ) ..

Thus, if continued, to reach an upper intermediate level ( B2.1 or B2.2 ), takes approx. 5 years of consistent studies of that language ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

I've started to learn English when I was 7 at primary school and I loved it and so now. I had a very good pronunciation ( not perfect obviously as an English). And also for the grammar. But I think also for another important reason that I remember with pleasure: my english teacher was a lovely girl from England moved in Italy and for me she was super: nice, funny, very sweet and a very good teacher. And she had red hair and hippy clothes.. I remember she drove a french car called in Italian "2 cavalli"
. She was very similar to Cindy Lauper...I loved her! I think this was very important for children, learn and have fun with a mothertongue teacher. I had always the hands up and said "me! me! I know that!" It was a beautiful way to learn. During the middle school I didn't like so much English although I studied it but I wasn't so keen anymore. Teacher wasn't an english mothertongue and she was very unpolite. During the high school I've studied both English and French. Well, fortunately my mom studied French and I also studied with her and it was my first language at the high school final exams. But after diploma I almost totally forgot French. English for me is the first language I liked and although is not so easy, I try to improve it, I try to read books in English language, chat with you..:wink: I also use it for work but listen to English people while talking I have some problems to understand..I think is normal: I don't live in UK ....not yet :wink:

Ok, then. All yous are testaduras.

Gahbahgoo is cappicola

Gavone is cafone, or a slob

Goomah is comare, either a god-mother, a gossipy neighbor, or a mistress

Pro-shoot is prosciutto

Gahvahdeel is cavatelli

It sounds better if you have a NY accent, then try to say the words with heavy Italian inflection. Capeesh?

I've started to learn English when I was 7 at primary school and I loved it and so now. I had a very good pronunciation ( not perfect obviously as an English). And also for the grammar. But I think also for another important reason that I remember with pleasure: my english teacher was a lovely girl from England moved in Italy and for me she was super: nice, funny, very sweet and a very good teacher. And she had red hair and hippy clothes.. I remember she drove a french car called in Italian "2 cavalli"
. She was very similar to Cindy Lauper...I loved her! I think this was very important for children, learn and have fun with a mothertongue teacher. I had always the hands up and said "me! me! I know that!" It was a beautiful way to learn. During the middle school I didn't like so much English although I studied it but I wasn't so keen anymore. Teacher wasn't an english mothertongue and she was very unpolite. During the high school I've studied both English and French. Well, fortunately my mom studied French and I also studied with her and it was my first language at the high school final exams. But after diploma I almost totally forgot French. English for me is the first language I liked and although is not so easy, I try to improve it, I try to read books in English language, chat with you..:wink: I also use it for work but listen to English people while talking I have some problems to understand..I think is normal: I don't live in UK ....not yet :wink:
Even here in the US, we had to take English classes every year. Some teachers were great and others were not nice. Most were very rigid.

Gahbahgoo is cappicola

Pro-shoot is prosciutto

Gahvahdeel is cavatelli

It sounds better if you have a NY accent, then try to say the words with heavy Italian inflection. Capeesh?

No wonder I couldn't guess the others. I hadn't heard of any of the other terms except prosciutto.

Gahbahgoo is cappicola

Pro-shoot is prosciutto

Gahvahdeel is cavatelli

Sì aggio capisciuto !:happy: the first time I listened to "capeesh?" it was during a dubbing for The Simpsons..

Even here in the US, we had to take English classes every year. Some teachers were great and others were not nice. Most were very rigid.

Yes sure. But you know when you are learning a new language, you can't have a teacher who doesn't pronounce exatly the words, mostly in english which is one of the most important things. But they were old time, now is very different at the school and also social networks give good chances.

Gahbahgoo is cappicola

Pro-shoot is prosciutto

Gahvahdeel is cavatelli

But cappicola.......what is? O' capocollo?

Yes sure. But you know when you are learning a new language, you can't have a teacher who doesn't pronounce exatly the words, mostly in english which is one of the most important things. But they were old time, now is very different at the school and also social networks give good chances.
Not about pronunciation. (We never did that.)
Oh I meant rigid as in you will put exactly x number of words per page. You must read what I had to read in school 60 years ago. Your sentences must all have a noun, verb, preposition, adverb, adjective, another noun, no conjuctions. (This was on book reports). That was a rigid teacher and if she didn't like you, she would just put an F on your paper.

Watched The Sopranos, yes. And lived in the neighborhoods where a lot of it was shot. My wife and I used to watch the show and would laugh every time we saw a store, restaurant, street, or house that we recognized.

I used to hang out in the Bada Bing (real name Satin Dolls) on a night out with the boys. The first time it was on the show, I recognized it right away. My wife just glared at me.

And I dated girls whose fathers owned pizza places that never made a single pizza. Or owned bus companies with no busses. :cool: Joani Cioffi, Darlene D'Ambrosio, Debbie Costanza... Marone, they were some sweet brasciole. :love:

Or, they had a $250,000 boat and $100,00 cars in the driveway of a little 2 bedroom house worth about as much.

The local motto was "You should only be interested in things that concern you, not the opposite".

The book Curious George was banned from the local library. What's he so F'in curious about? F'in mook.

Ok, that last one isn't true. But the rest is. Italian girls love blue eyed Irish guys, and 3 of my sisters married Italian American guys: Cavo, Fiumefreddo, and Bruno.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom