Recommendations for Nice Set of Pots and Pans?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
8:42 AM
I have a friend who is in the market for a new set of pots and pans. No, really, it's for a friend. I'm happy with mine for now, but I've had them for ages, so I thought some of y'all might be more acquainted with what's out there now, as far as decent mid-range sets. He's pretty much starting from scratch. During his recent move, he put his set in storage because he's in a small place, and the storage unit was broken into, and most of his household goods were stolen.

He's looking for pretty much a full set of different sized pots and pans with lids. Nothing too heavy, because he has some physical limitations. Although he has a helper who does most of the cooking, he will occasionally use the pans, so needs to be able to lift them. And his favorite color is purple. That's not a requirement, but I know it would tickle his fancy to have purple pans. His budget is up to around $200.

Any help would be appreciated. He likes quality, so better quality with less variety would probably suit him, rather than a gazillion pans that will fall apart after some use.

Last edited:
Emerilware 10-pc Stainless Steel Cookware Set. It is very heavy and has thick-clad bottoms.
I've had mine since '06, it has done me very well, and continues to do so!! :wink:

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm sure he'd like Emerilware. The weight might be too much for his strength level, but since he won't be doing much of the cooking, they might still work for him.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm sure he'd like Emerilware. The weight might be too much for his strength level, but since he won't be doing much of the cooking, they might still work for him.

It is a very good set!
The only 2 shortcomings are that starchy foods like pasta, rice, potatoes & dried beans tend to leave a slightly white film in the interior and the copper band around the bottoms can tarnish. But I think that you can get it without the copper bands.

But the good thing is that you can get some Wright's Copper Cleaner to clean that all up, inside & outside! And make them look sparkling new again. I do that every time that I use some of it!

Every now & then, time permitting, I clean the whole set, just to keep it clean and new looking, besides regular cleaning after use.

There is a slightly larger 14-pc set as well. I've added an additional boatload of open stock pieces to make it a monster 31-pc set! I plan to have it around for a long, long, long time, & I'm not buying another set for a long time!! :wink: :stop:

I wish I could recommend something but I can't. I have some Lifetime saucepans that I have had for more than 20years and except for some handles missing from one or two there are still good to go. I have bought other saucepans from time to time but none can be compared to those lifetime ones I got when I first moved in here. Of the ones I bought in later years, one of the saucepans started splitting at the side. That still has me puzzled. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I will check out the ones Shermie mentioned.

I wish I could recommend something but I can't. I have some Lifetime saucepans that I have had for more than 20years and except for some handles missing from one or two there are still good to go. I have bought other saucepans from time to time but none can be compared to those lifetime ones I got when I first moved in here. Of the ones I bought in later years, one of the saucepans started splitting at the side. That still has me puzzled. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I will check out the ones Shermie mentioned.

it really is a good set of cookware! it is also available in a hard anodized version as well. :wink:

I have my old Calphalon pans that I love. I've supplemented with a few additional pots and pans over the years, mainly because I needed more than one in similar sizes for what I wanted to cook, and didn't want to keep having to empty and clean pots mid-cooking. The Calphalon have survived for years, and I don't anticipate having any problems with them for quite a while. They still look good, too :).

Here's what my friend ended up going with: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooking-w...dized-Nonstick-12-Piece-Cookware-Set/27416483 he seems very happy with them so far.

I have my old Calphalon pans that I love. I've supplemented with a few additional pots and pans over the years, mainly because I needed more than one in similar sizes for what I wanted to cook, and didn't want to keep having to empty and clean pots mid-cooking. The Calphalon have survived for years, and I don't anticipate having any problems with them for quite a while. They still look good, too :).

Here's what my friend ended up going with: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooking-w...dized-Nonstick-12-Piece-Cookware-Set/27416483 he seems very happy with them so far.

Calphalon is good!
They now make a hard anodized set that can be washed in the dishwasher.
I don't wash any of my set in the dishwasher. I always wash them by hand. Even though they are dishwasher safe, you can't get the white film that's left behind by starchy foods out of them.
I polish them now & then with Wright's Copper Crème. After washing one or more od the pots used, I also polish them up with the paste.

Even though metal utensils can be used with them, I don't, because they are easily scratched! So I use nylon or wooden utensils to help keep them new looking for years to come!! :wink:

I most often use wooden and nylon utensils, as well. I use my dishwasher for storage, and hand wash everything, except occasionally, such as Thanksgiving, but even then, I usually just hand wash in batches, since I don't have a huge sink.

My nephew and his wife in Georgia do the same thing.
They use their dishwasher to put the clean dishes in to dry, but they don't use it for washing the dishes.

My 11-year-old grand nephew used it once and got scolded by his mom for doing so. She yelled at him because she said that he knew that it doesn't work well.
Well, they should've let the landlord know, so that it can be fixed!! :headshake::mad:

I have a tiny kitchen, so I keep some of the pans/dishes/mugs in there, and some out in the dining area. I have friends who use their ovens for storing pans, but that drives me crazy, because when I cook at their houses, I forget, and preheat the oven with the pans in there. I much prefer to use the dishwasher, that way they're out of the way, and stay dust free, as well.

By the way, my friend bought that set of pans, but he bought them on eBay instead, and saved a lot of money. :drink::hyper::highfive:

I like Belgique. It is stainless, not too heavy, but heavy enough to prevent food from sticking and burning too quickly.

I have a tiny kitchen, so I keep some of the pans/dishes/mugs in there, and some out in the dining area. I have friends who use their ovens for storing pans, but that drives me crazy, because when I cook at their houses, I forget, and preheat the oven with the pans in there. I much prefer to use the dishwasher, that way they're out of the way, and stay dust free, as well.

By the way, my friend bought that set of pans, but he bought them on eBay instead, and saved a lot of money. :drink::hyper::highfive:
I store the cast iron I use most in the oven. I have forgotten a time or two. It gets hot and heavy in a hurry.

I bought a new set of non-stick cookware in orange. I keep it in a cabinet under the countertop. :wink:

I have old Revereware that I absolutely love! My husband and I look for it at garage sales and thrift stores! He can smell Revereware a mike away, I swear!

Attachments

• 20161026_163718.jpg
    20161026_163718.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom