Recommended kitchen tools

Many rural Thais either cook on a charcoal bbq (see below) or a single gas ring (both outside). Before rice cookers became widely available (and cheap) I understand that the rice was cooked first and then left to cool whilst the other dish(es) were cooked. With a rice cooker it not only frees the bbq/gas ring, it also has the facility to keep the rice warm.

View attachment 14815

Makes even more sense now you explained that.

Great explanation Yorky, I'm not big on rice but if we are having rice for Sunday dinner, my daughter uses my rice cooker and makes it. She's a very good cook as well, she's been to Japan so she cooks Japanese for us occasionally. I never get the rice cooked right so daughters now in charge. You'd think it would be easy wouldn't you.?

Russ

Many rural Thais either cook on a charcoal bbq (see below) or a single gas ring (both outside). Before rice cookers became widely available (and cheap) I understand that the rice was cooked first and then left to cool whilst the other dish(es) were cooked. With a rice cooker it not only frees the bbq/gas ring, it also has the facility to keep the rice warm.

I should also differentiate between boiled rice and steamed rice (here in Thailand). Steamed rice is the more popular and is usually cooked in the rice cooker (this is mine with turmeric, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon added) .

aromatic rice s.jpg

Boiled rice I believe is cooked on the stove top and is basically rice soup to which is sometimes added small pieces of cooked meat. I do not have a photograph as I have never cooked boiled rice.

s.jpg

I always cook my [steamed] rice on the hob. The only rice cooker I ever had was sent back after a few days because it used to burn everything (it doubled up as a slow cooker as well, and it was a reputable make).

For knives, you can pretty much get by with a good quality chef's knife, pairing knife and steel. If you eat a lot of fresh bread, a serrated knife would be a good idea as well. I see you are in SoCal, where there is a lot of Mexican influence. A good non-stick (could be well seasoned cast iron), 12" fry pan which will double as suitable Comal would be a good idea. If you really get into Mexican, a molcajete that you can cook in would be another choice. A sauce pan and and 8 qt dutch oven, which both usually come with lids. Spatchulas, wooden spoons, a peeler, etc would get you started.

I'm a self taught cook, I learned to improve rapidly by eating everything I made, no matter how bad. The improvements were made by reflecting on the ingredients and methods used then researching and adjusting either or both.

Start with whatever you have & build on with the rest,

That is, use what you have & whenever you are out shopping, buy a little bit of equipment whenever you can. I'm on a fixed income, so I get what I think is needed most & go from there. :wink:

For knives, you can pretty much get by with a good quality chef's knife, pairing knife and steel. If you eat a lot of fresh bread, a serrated knife would be a good idea as well. I see you are in SoCal, where there is a lot of Mexican influence. A good non-stick (could be well seasoned cast iron), 12" fry pan which will double as suitable Comal would be a good idea. If you really get into Mexican, a molcajete that you can cook in would be another choice. A sauce pan and and 8 qt dutch oven, which both usually come with lids. Spatchulas, wooden spoons, a peeler, etc would get you started.

I'm a self taught cook, I learned to improve rapidly by eating everything I made, no matter how bad. The improvements were made by reflecting on the ingredients and methods used then researching and adjusting either or both.

Snap on the self taught. Still learning.

Russ

When I first moved out on my own mom packed up a selection of used things for me from out of her kitchen. A small nonstick skillet, a larger nonstick skillet, 2 stainless revereware copper bottom pots with lids, a muffin tin, a cookie sheet, a square and rectangle cake pan, a collinder, a slotted spoon, ladle, and flipper, a large wood handled knife, a small paring knife. I added a rubber spatula, a manual can opener, some plastic storage containers, a glass casserole with lid, measuring cups and spoons, a toaster, a stick blender, and a microwave. I also bought a toaster oven but it caught on fire so i tossed it.

I didn't cook a lot as i was a college student and was rarely home to cook anything fancy. Mostly eggs, grilled cheese, ramen, pasta and rice, muffins and brownies from box mixes and cookies. I did make a pie that first year cause i could not make it home for thanksgiving...somehow i did not realize pumpkin pie needs milk and made it without...it wasn't bad.

The only important things I'd add to what's already been mentioned are a food processor and a stand mixer. I use the mixer quite a lot; you don't have to get too fancy with what you spend, either, since Target has one that's very good for around $40. Less essential - but still useful - are a french rolling pin and a bench scraper.

And, in the useful but completely odd category, I give you this, which I just got in the mail. That's right: it's a spatula with a built-in flashlight. I find myself grilling after dark quite a lot, so this is something I will put to good use.

Flashlight-Grilling-Spatula.jpg

The only important things I'd add to what's already been mentioned are a food processor and a stand mixer. I use the mixer quite a lot; you don't have to get too fancy with what you spend, either, since Target has one that's very good for around $40. Less essential - but still useful - are a french rolling pin and a bench scraper.

I have neither stand mixer nor food processor (nor a liquidiser) and believe me, I'm an obsessive cook. I do have a mini chopper which I mainly use to make things like breadcrumbs. What is a French rolling pin?

Back
Top Bottom