Recipe Red Mole Enchilladas

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:58 AM
Maybe I should take a cue from Rick Bayless and start a thread called "Mexico: One Mole at a Time". I usually poach the chicken in the broth, which gives it more flavor. I'll drop a couple bay leaves, black pepper corns, fresh cilanto and a pinch of freshly toasted and ground cumin in with the chicken. The enhanced broth gets strained before use in the recipe. You can sub shredded pork (carnitas) for the chicken. Refried beans (in lard of course) and green or cumin rice are great sides.

This recipe serves 6 to 9, with about 6 cups of sauce.

Ingredients
For 1 cup, sweet and spicy ancho seasoning paste:
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
8 medium (about 4 ounces total) dried ancho chilis, stemmed and seeded
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground
A big pinch cumin, preferably freshly ground
A scant 1/4 teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground
About 6 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or rich-tasting pork lard (leaf lard or Manteca), plus a little more if needed
2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) whole almonds (with or without skins)
1 medium white onion, sliced 1/8 inch thick
1/4 cup raisins
5 ounces (1 small round or 2 to 3 plum) ripe tomatoes
A scant 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, preferably freshly ground Mexican canela
1/4 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) roughly chopped Mexican chocolate
2 slices firm white bread (or 1/2 Mexican bolillo), toasted
Salt, about 2 1/2 teaspoons, depending on saltiness of the broth
Sugar, about 1 tablespoon
18 corn tortillas (plus a few extra, in case some break)
A spoonful or two of sesame seeds, for garnish
3 cups cooked, coarsely shredded chicken

Directions
Making 1 cup, sweet and spicy ancho seasoning paste.
1) Roast the unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until soft (they’ll blacken in spots), about 15 minutes; cool and peel.
2) While the garlic is roasting, toast the chilis on another side of the griddle or skillet: 1 or 2 at a time, open them flat and press down firmly on the hot surface with a spatula; in a few seconds, when they crackle, even send up a wisp of smoke, flip them and press down to toast the other side.
3) In a small bowl, cover the chiles with hot water and let rehydrate 30 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure even soaking. Drain and reserve the soaking liquid.
4) Combine the oregano, black pepper, cumin and cloves in a food processor or blender, along with the chilis, garlic and 2/3 cup of the broth.
5) Process to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds. If the mixture won’t go through the blender blades, add a little more soaking liquid.
6) Press through a medium-mesh strainer into a bowl and set aside.
7) In a medium-size (4-quart) pot (preferably a Dutch oven or Mexican cazuela), heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil or lard over medium.
8) Add the almonds and cook, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the almonds to a blender or food processor.
9) Add half of the onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until richly browned, about 10 minutes. Use the slotted spoon to scoop the onions in with the almonds, leaving behind as much oil as possible. (If needed, add a little more oil or lard to the pan, let heat, then continue.)
10) Add the raisins, stir for a minute as they puff, then use the slotted spoon to scoop them in with the almonds.
11) Roast the tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on one side, about 6 minutes, then flip them over and roast the other side. Cool, peel and add to the almond mixture in the blender, along with the cinnamon, chocolate and bread.
12) Add 1 cup of the broth and blend to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds.
13) Return the pot to medium-high heat and, if necessary, add a little more oil or lard to coat the bottom lightly.
14) When very hot, add the ancho mixture and cook, stirring almost constantly, until darker and very thick, about 5 minutes.
15) Add the pureed almond mixture and cook, stirring constantly for another few minutes, until very thick once again.
16) Stir in the remaining 4 1/3 cups of the broth, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low for 45 minutes. Taste and season with salt and sugar. (If you have never made mole before, season it until it’s slightly sweet--the sugar balances the strong flavors.)

The mole can be made a day or two ahead and kept refrigerated until needed. Let warm to room temp before use.

To warm the tortillas, I use a small, non-stick skillet over high heat, lightly coated with oil or lard. Once hot, place one tortilla at a time in the skillet, until soft and pliable, flipping once. Transfer to a basket with a kitchen towel and keep covered until all are done.

Finishing the enchiladas.
1) Turn on the oven to the lowest setting and warm 6 to 9 plates in it.
2) Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet, stirring frequently, over medium heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
3) In a medium-size saucepan, combine the chicken with 1 1/2 cups of the mole and warm over medium heat.
4) Bring the remaining mole to a simmer.
5) When you’re ready to serve, quickly make the enchiladas by scooping 2 generous tablespoons of chicken onto a tortilla, roll it up and place it on a warm dinner plate.
6) Continue making enchiladas, arranging 2 or 3 per plate, then douse them liberally with the hot mole.
7) Strew with the remaining sliced onion and sesame seeds on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason I have never tried Mole is the extensive ingredient list. :hyper:

If you make the mole ahead, its not so bad. If you make several recipes of a mole, they freeze well. When I make Thai curry pastes, I double, even triple the recipe and freeze what I don't need for another go round.

If you make the mole ahead, its not so bad. If you make several recipes of a mole, they freeze well. When I make Thai curry pastes, I double, even triple the recipe and freeze what I don't need for another go round.

Good point. You just need a bit of time to make it in the first place. Its not the sort of recipe to knock up for a quick dinner.

Back
Top Bottom