Red Tamarind

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:31 PM
It may be too late to ask this as my wife will have probably eaten it all soon. Does anyone have a suggestion what to make with this?

red tamarind s.jpg

Can you make your own tamarind chutney or sauce? Is it the sour type or the sweet type. I have had the sweet tamarind before and have to confess I loved it. They didn't last too long either.

It's the sweet variety and it's almost gone already! It tastes a little like chestnuts.

Next time maybe........

Last edited:
I would love to be able to get hold of some of the sweet variety again, but with the Aussie customs restrictions unless it is grown in this country, anything with viable seeds is OUT big time and that means tamarind full stop is almost impossible to get hold of, tamarind dates are out. :cry: Tamarind pulp is borderline here and there sadly. Tamarind concentrate is OK, but the truth is I don't like it. You have to be so careful that it does not have sugar and salt added to it. I just want plain simple tamarind dates or tamarind pulp (and the one place that did the pulp has now disappeared in the manner in which Chinese shops are rather prone to do in these parts.

I'm lucky I can get whole tamarind pods from Ocado - but I don't know if that would be called sweet. I didn't realise there were sweet varieties.

I'm lucky I can get whole tamarind pods from Ocado - but I don't know if that would be called sweet. I didn't realise there were sweet varieties.
Morrison's also do a block of compressed deshelled ones for 99p. they are complete except seeds.

The online Asian grocery store whose name has slipped my mind but I have used in the past and I'm certain you have asked about (mullaco?) does the sweet variety and you know the difference instantly.

Morrison's also do a block of compressed deshelled ones for 99p. they are complete except seeds.

The online Asian grocery store whose name has slipped my mind but I have used in the past and I'm certain you have asked about (mullaco?) does the sweet variety and you know the difference instantly.
I will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom