Regional Fried Rice

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
3:19 PM
I am looking for a fried rice recipe from different parts of the world. Do you guys have a secret recipe or a traditional fried rice recipe that you can be proud of? My friends are coming over for the weekend and they want to go regional so I thought I may want to surprise them with a Chinese, Nepalese, or Indian fried rice. Any suggestion?

Well, I think there are probably hundreds of variations on fried rice. Nasi Goreng, springs to mind. There's loads of versions of this out there. Here's one by Rick Stein :http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/nasi_goreng_with_lime_87031 . Three ingredients I nearly always use are: Fish sauce, light soy sauce and chilli. One thing you really need, though, is a super non-stick wok or chef's pan!

Chinese Pork Fried Rice.jpg
Chinese Pork Fried Rice!.jpg

Here are 2 pics of Shermie's Chinese Pork Fried Rice! :wink:

Last edited:
I love Nasi Goreng. When I went to Malaysia, I ate this almost every day. Anyway, in the Philippines, we just make our fried rice the "common" way. Just fry it with garlic and everything you can find in the refrigerator. If you have leftover ham or sausage, you can put it. You can even add margarine. I love adding mixed vegetables to fried rice as well. :)

Our fried rice is the traditional Philippine fried rice with Spanish origin. It is called Murisqueta or Morisqueta. The main ingredients are cooked rice, preferably a day old, garlic, onions, Chinese sausage, eggs. Scramble the egg first and put aside. Slice the sausage, onion and crush the garlic. Oops, I forgot the soy sauce.

With a tablespoon of oil, fry the garlic until golden brown before adding the onions. When the onion is wilted, add the rice and stir for 1 minute before adding 2 tablespoon of soy sauce. Stir for 5 minutes then add the sausage. After 1 minute you can add the egg. That's it.

I love my Mongolian fried rice it usually involves a lot of salt and pepper, some sesame oil, teriyaki sauce and bean sprouts. The kinds of meat involved really depends on you but in Mongolia I heard they use horse meat. In my house we just use pork belly, beef slices or bacon. LOL

I am learning to make fried rice. I know that does not sound like a hard job but for me mine just does not turn out right, I really like fried rice.

Back
Top Bottom