Regional Sandwiches From Around The World

This stuff is worth up to $120 kg depending on high or low numbers returning to where they were born. I normally do swaps and get about 5 kgs per year for family or friendly gatherings. They are easy to make, whitebait eggs and chopped mint s and p. As I mentioned they are a kiwi delicacy.

Russ

That sounds nice. I love whitebait but the ones available here are a lot bigger than those.

I was at a market in Brisbane Australia about 15 years ago and a stall advertised nz whitebait. It was actually Chinese whitebait. Nothing like nz stuff.

Russ

I think your basic pb&j is regionally U.S. i do love them...

When i was a kid its the only sandwich mom would pack in our school lunches as it would not spoil in the Florida heat as there was no refridgeration of student's lunch boxes at school.

I follow suite so anytime i need to take a lunch or even go to a lunch meeting i think might not have a vegetarian choice, i have a pb&j tucked in my bag. Also a trip to the beach just isn't the same without a slightly soggy pb&j sadwich in the cooler.

Pulled ray pork
?
Anyone like paninis? What is your favorite?

My daughter used to be addicted to these when she was at school. They had them in the school canteen. They are a fairly recent introduction in the UK I think - I mean in the last 15 years or so. She used to like grilled cheese in them.

How could I have forgotten the Gyro!:eek: Then there are hoagies, grinders or submarines.:watching:

I think I've heard of this - but in the UK, no. I must look it up and remind myself what it is as well as hoagies and grinders!

Hoagies and grinders are the same as submarines, just the terms used in different parts of the US. Gyro is a Greek pita sandwich with that vertical rotisserie meat, veges and tzatziki.

One of my favorite sandwiches is a French dip sandwich. Roast beef served on a soft roll topped with provolone cheese, and the au jus is served on the side for dipping the sandwich. I had the original sandwich at Philippe's in downtown Los Angeles. The story goes something like -- the French dip sandwich was created by accident by the owner Philippe. He was preparing the sandwich for his policeman friend and accidentally dropped the roll into the roast beef drippings. It was a big hit. I've made my own version using a chuck roast in the slow cooker French onion soup for the au jus. Sometimes I'll add a little red or white wine.

You can read more about it at Philippes.com

Last edited:
The most famous sandwich from New Jersey is a Taylor ham, fried egg, and cheese on a hard roll (Kaiser roll, or round roll - it's not actually hard, but it does have a thin crust vs. a purely soft roll, like for a burger). Taylor ham is a large ring pork sausage/salumi that is pan fried before adding to the sandwich.

And you can't visit NYC without having a bagel with a schmear and lox (a schmear is a term for the right amount of cream cheese).

How about a true Philadelphia sandwich: roast pork, garlic sauteed broccoli rabe, and sharp provolone on a long roll.

Another good one from Pennsylvania is Lebanon bologna. It can be eaten cold, with spicy or honey mustard and onions on rye or whole wheat.

Or hot, where it's fried, topped with tomatoes and a melty cheese like Meunster, on whole grain bread.

Another good one from Pennsylvania is Lebanon bologna. It can be eaten cold, with spicy or honey mustard and onions on rye or whole wheat.

Or hot, where it's fried, topped with tomatoes and a melty cheese like Meunster, on whole grain bread.

I have to hand to the Yanks - you guys certainly take sandwiches seriously. In the UK there are far, far fewer recognised and 'named' sandwiches. Its an interesting cultural difference.

Back
Top Bottom